With Child

Sam, having now unearthed himself from the darkness below, approached a guard on duty. "Kind sir, call a medic and have someone fetch me some fresh food and drink from the kitchen. Have them meet me here and follow me down into the dungeon."

"Yes, my prince." The guard walked briskly away, bowing reverently to Harry as he passed. Sam smiled invitingly as his twin strolled down the hallway towards him.

"Hello, Sam. What are you up to?" Harry greeted him casually, but nonetheless there was a tension in his face. His eyes said far more than his words.

His expression went unnoticed by Sam, who opened freely with his trusted brother. "I am sending a medic and proper sustenance down for Harrison and Beth. They're miserable—"

Harry chuckled slightly, holding his hand up to his mouth for a moment before he spoke. "Sam, what makes you think they shouldn't suffer? They've committed treason."

"Harry—you can't possibly think that way. You're fully aware of the circumstances—"

"Yes, I am, but I remain unmoved. What they did was wrong by the crown, by Tom, by us even—"

"That's nonsense. You're being heartless—"

"I'm not the one who neglected my, I daresay, simple duty, and put our entire kingdom and family in danger over something as futile as a—as a romantic entanglement. Tom won't learn his lesson if those imprisoned for taking part in his misguidance aren't treated like the criminals they are—"

"How could you say that? About Harrison? And you haven't met Beth, but I assure you she is lovely—"

The guard then returned with the medic and a basket of food. "What you ordered, my prince."

"Enough of this. You'll not stick your nose in this business—you're dismissed!" Harry said to the guard and the medic, trying to shoo them off.

"Stay where you are, good sir." Sam retorted, standing his ground. "Harry, she needs medical attention. She has fallen ill and their cell is a mess with all the bile. It's unlivable—"

Harry scratched his head. His eyes changing, a worrisome tint washing over them. "Ill?"

"Yes."

"Very well then. I will accompany you." He shook his head, attempting to rid himself of the thoughts racing through and beating his brain like a blow to the face. "Shall we?" He said to the waiting men, and they headed down into the dark passage tucked away from the bright, comfortable palace.

They came upon the cell, and Harry's heart slowly sank lower into his stomach. His nose filled with a potent, vile scent that nearly made him gag. The filth was more than he imagined, and he almost felt the need to recant the ignorant statements he made upstairs. He quickly reminded himself that there were worse punishments for criminals. Criminals. Harrison, someone of the purest of heart and so dear to the family was now a criminal. Facts he had been well aware of for weeks now suddenly baffled him like they were new and freshly told. He looked upon the girl, her eyes gleaming with a gratitude at the sight of his brother Sam with the food he had promised. She spoke first. "Oh, Sam—"

"That is your Royal Highness, Prince Sam." Harry interrupted flatly.

"I—I beg your pardon—" Beth stammered in fear.

Sam calmed her. "Harry, it's alright. They are friends—"

Harry scoffed, attempting to conceal the pinch of sympathy he had for the frightened girl. "Friends? They are treasonous liars. And we should not be here. We should not be doing this—"

"Harry—mate—" Harrison started, but Harry turned to him angrily, feeling mocked.

"Mate? Mate?? Harrison, that's quite bold of you. You and this—this girl put my family in a horrible position—"