CHAPTER-2

Chapter two:- Colour Codes

By the time of lunch break, the entire population of Eastwood High was super excited for the Homecoming Dance.

On the very first day of school, might I add.

Girls were being asked out by boys for going to the Dance as their dates, the Student Council was already looking for a suitable day for the event and the School Newspaper Committee was already looking forward to hire extra help for the photography section. Although I admit, being the head Editor and writer for the School journal is super fun, I get to write about all anecdotes from the events.

Writing is my passion ever since I read my first fiction. There's nothing I'd like more than to be a successful and published Writer someday. And writing for the school newspaper was the first step I took in that direction.

"When do you think the Dance is? Next week?" Zach asked me as he set his lunch tray beside mine, hopping onto his seat.

I nodded my head affirmative.

"Savannah said they wanted to organise it this week but there isn't enough time." I said, munching on the fries in my tray.

Who cares about these stupid dances anyways?" He said, frowning.

I glared at him.

"I do!" I scowled at him.

"You are just a child at heart." He chuckled, ruffling my hair.

I swatted his hand away.

"Is it a crime to be interested in a High School dance?" I huffed in annoyance.

"Of course not." Zach explained. "But you and I both know it isn't just about some stupid event Jess! You've always been this way- Romanticising things that aren't even special. You hope for yourself, the kind of love that comes straight from the cheesy rom-coms you watch every night. You're way too sensitive about this stuff."

I looked at him with wide eyes.

"I'm not sensitive Zachy!" I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

Now that'll piss him more. He hates being called Zachy!

"Hey! Don't call me that!" He said groaning. "And yes you are sensitive about this."

"Prove it." I challenged.

"I don't need to. Just ask yourself a few questions and you'll know it on your own." He said.

"What questions?" I asked.

"Do you, or do you not wish that maybe once- just once- you are that simple girl next door from a movie? Don't you wanna have some drama, some love, some tough choices and finally the big happy ending in your life?" He voiced the questions.

And I sighed in defeat.

Was I that obvious?

"I hate to admit it, but you're right." I said. "But a girl can dream no?"

Before Zach could even reply, Aaron came out of nowhere towards us.

"Jess, Danger, Danger. Code Red!" He said, coming towards us, making sure no one heard him. I think he was in a character where he acts as a spy or some superhero.

"You get periods?" Zach asked him, eyes widened.

"Huh? WHAT? NO! Eww eww." Aaron said, scrunching his nose in disgust.

"Dude you just said code red." Zach pointed out. "What else can it possibly mean?"

"Umm, I don't know, DANGER?" Aaron snapped, his nose still scrunched up.