Chapter 17: My Friend

Laurence

Surrounded by aisles of clothing, every color imaginable, my heart aches with anxiety. I try my best to ignore the large groups of people around me. I simply need to try and focus.

"Why won't you tell me why we're here?" Jess inquired, searching through racks of bottom-ups on her own.

I guess I don't have to lie to her. Tomorrow is Garroth and I's six month anniversary. I need it to be perfect, not for myself, but for him. Our time together has been hard on us both. We were already hiding our relationship, and now Garroth is going through his parents' divorce. One night, I just need one night, where we can forget our struggles and only have one another.

"Um..." I've taken long enough to answer her, just say something, "It's my six month anniversary with Garroth tomorrow."

Jess smiled, a small one I barely noticed. She took a forest green sweater and held it up to my chest, "I think this is an amazing choice! It complements your hair," She ruffled my hair, to which I tried to fix it.

I hesitantly took the top from her, studying it in my hands. "Do you think he'll like it?" I never thought I would be asking her about this kind of thing. Hell, I never thought I would be with Garroth.

"It's perfect." She stated matter-of-factly. "You should wear it over that grey button-up you have."

I nodded, agreeing, and sighed.

As we were leaving the store, Jess chimed in, "You don't have to be nervous, Laur. From what I can tell, Garroth truly loves you. I'm really happy you found each other. I'm proud of you, Laur."

I was slightly taken aback. Jess has never talked about my relationship with Garroth. She did listen to me as I told her, but she didn't react. She simply let me vent about everything until I fell asleep. I'm so appreciative to have her here with me.

"Jess?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for being my friend."

"My pleasure."