Cartoon Vampire

The theme of the vampire cartoon took its roots in the 1980s and continues even until today. The cartoon vampire uses illustration to bring an otherwise terrifying character into a popular childlike form. Vampires in this sense are a common fixture on television shows, movies, and in comic books. The cartoon vampire has even emerged in food advertisements. However, now with the rise of the current vampire books and movies, such as the Twilight Saga and the Sookie Stackhouse Series, the cartoon vampire is even more accessible.

A personal favorite in the genre of cartoon vampire is Count Chocula. Known as the teammate of Frankenberry and Boo-Berry, Count Dracula is the sweet and chocolaty cereal your mom kept hidden on the top shelf of the cabinet for special occasions. But who are we kidding? It isn't the cereal that keeps us satisfied. It's the cartoon drawing of Count Chocula on the front of the box. As an aside, other friends of Count Chocula who are no longer with us include Yummy Mummy and Fruit-Brute; they were sent packing in the 1980s.

One well-established vampire themed television series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, was adapted into an animated series. The stars of the show, which included Angel the dark and luscious vampire, were transformed into cartoon vampires. Unfortunately the cartoon never made it past the promo stage. You can catch the cartoon vampire promo on YouTube and other online video screening sites.

One of the most loved cartoon vampire characters is Count Blood Count. This spooky creature is included in the cartoon "Transylvania 6-5000" starring Bugs Bunny. Count Blood Count is a vampire who turns into a bat; he also lives in his own version of Castle Dracula. In the cartoon Count Blood Count fights with Bugs Bunny until he gives up his creepy, albeit funny, spirit. You can view "Transylvania 6-5000" online nowadays via YouTube, or just hit up your kid brother or sister's VHS shelf.

Another cartoon vampire in the same vein as Bugs Bunny and the Warner Brothers cartoon characters is Count Duckula. This character is what would remain if Daffy Duck was bitten by Dracula. Count Duckula is a bit of a dork, though, and less frightening than Count Dracula, which is a plus since this was released as a children's cartoon in the 1980s. Featuring the characteristic voice with a quack to it, Count Duckula is different in that he an evil mind. The count was first featured in the Danger Mouse cartoon series, but he later earned his own series.

One of the most loved cartoon television series for children and adults alike is The Simpsons. Starring the rebellious Bart Simpson and his beer guzzling dad Homer, The Simpsons took a step into the supernatural with their own take on the cartoon vampire. In the episode "Treehouse of Horror" in season five, the greedy corporate boss Mr. Burns is turned into a vampire. The cartoon vampire was adapted from the film Dracula that was directed by Francis Ford Coppola; it starred Gary Oldman as Count Dracula. In The Simpsons Vampire Burns lures the Simpsons family into his castle in the same way that was done in Dracula.

During the 90s the cool vampire cartoon was Little Dracula, which featured an illustrated version of the would-be son of Count Dracula, or as known in the cartoon Big Dracula. Little Dracula had big round red eyes and witchy green skin; he also had a nagging inferiority complex that came from being the son of the greatest of all vampires. With a chip on his shoulder, Little Dracula was part of a 15-show series that ended in 1999.

Along the same family blood lines of Little Dracula is Drak, Jr. who was a nephew of Count Dracula. This cartoon series actually predates the Little Dracula series by a decade. Drak, Jr. and his cohorts of the Drak Pack were on a mission to undo all of the wrongs their supernatural ancestors had committed. Other than Drak, Jr., the members of the Drak Pack included child-aged relatives of the Werewolf and Frankenstein. While the television series was short lived, it opened up the avenue to turn supernatural and paranormal monsters into heroes, which is a concept that continues even today.