my plea

"Hey, we're okay, right?" Suiren asks, her voice getting shaky at every syllable.

She lightly squeezes his hand as she awaits for an answer.

"Mhmm," he hums with a subtle nod.

"Ah, that's good, heh, I was getting worried," she chuckles before moving closer to him.

"Oh, by the way, 'Samu, I still have to spend a day or two in the hospital or something. But after that, can we go out on a date? What do you think?" she asks.

"A date?"

"Mhmm, we haven't gone out on one."

"We have, haven't we, Suiren?"

"Yeah, but that was a, you know, a fake date," she corrects him.

"Ah. Right."

"Would you like to go to the planetarium? Or do you want to go on a buffet date or something?"

"Um, I, I don't know."

The one-sided enthusiasm is much too evident with the way Osamu responded. She tones down herself for a bit, feeling dejected.

"You know, I just want to spend some time with you, 'Samu," she tells him.

"And, I was so happy when you gave me that letter. I felt like a bride, even," she chuckles. "I guess I really am in love with you," she adds, smiling at him.

"Say, 'Samu, are you really okay? Are we okay?" she asks, her tone full of worry, "You can tell me, you know that, right?"

"Right?"

Osamu bites his lip, torn with what he's supposed to say.

"Can we take some time off?" he finally speaks up, but becomes too cowardly to even look at her.

"What?" she mouths. Her eyes are fixated on his, hoping her ears are simply deceiving her.

"I think, I think I need some space," Osamu clarifies, then lets go of her hand.

"Why?" she mumbles her question but now, he remains silent.

"Answer me, Osamu. Why?!" she slightly raises her voice, pained, confused, and angered, almost as if the meek and mellow Suiren was gone.

Osamu keeps his mouth shut, not even batting an eye on her. He couldn't bear to. It's too difficult. He knows he's breaking her heart.

"Am I, am I too pushy? Is being with me suffocating? Am I too demanding?" she questions.

"Suiren, please."

"I, I can change, you know? Like, like, I can fix that." Her despair turns to desperation at this point.

"No, no, I'm not trying to change who you are," Osamu clarifies, "I don't want to fix you. You're not 'spposed to be fixed."

"Then, why?" she asks, on the verge of bursting to tears. She hasn't even noticed her tears piling up until now.

He refuses to answer.

"Tell me."

"The letter, Suiren."

"What?"

"The letter wasn't mine."

"Oh."

"You were 'spposed to break up with me if the surgery didn't go well. But ye changed yer mind after that damn letter," he adds as he stands up from the bench.

It shocks her, stirring up a heavier mix of feelings. "I have to go," he says, without looking back.

"Wait, 'Samu," she pleads but it doesn't stop him from leaving.

°
°
°
°
°

TSUTSUI RESIDENCE. 2 DAYS LATER. "Are you okay, dear? You can walk up the stairs, right?" her mother asks as they enter the house.

"Huh?"

"Do you need help on the stairs? I placed a futon in the living room so you don't need to sleep in your room for now if you like," her mother explains.

"I think I'd rather stay in my room, Mom," Suiren answers in her usual deadpan tone.

"You alright, dear? Does it hurt?"

"What?"

"If your foot still hurts, tell me, okay?"

"Yes, mom."

°
°
°

Suiren, with the help of her sister, Sumi, reaches her room a few minutes later. Before heading to her bed, she changes to her night clothes and stares at her reflection for a moment or two. "I got even thinner," she remarks.

Aside from her reflection, she spots the Miya Osamu merchandise she bought from the fanclub. Their memories come rushing in her head, bringing both happiness and pain.

"Come back to me, please?"

And like an answered plea, she notices her phone screen light up. She rushes to unlock her phone, only to end up in dismay upon reading the notification.

shinsuke_kita: Hello, Tsutsui-chan. I heard you got discharged from the hospital already. I hope you're doing well. I can lend you my notes when you come back. Take care.

tsutsuisui: hi, kita-kun

shinsuke_kita: Oh, hi again

tsutsuisui: thank you about the notes. I need to catch up in class

shinsuke_kita: No problem :))

shinsuke_kita: When are you coming back?

tsutsuisui: in two days, i think

shinsuke_kita: Okay okay

shinsuke_kita: Can we talk?

tsutsuisui: ?

shinsuke_kita: When you come back. Can we talk?