Chapter 4

Malfoy avoided her in the weeks leading up to the first event of the triwizard tournament. The way she had seen through him startled him. She had peaked through his walls so quickly, it unnerved him. However, unfortunately for him, she was everywhere.

He couldn't stay far enough away from her during Care of Magical Creatures. Somehow a sniff of her honey-lavender shampoo would catch the breeze, and he would be lost in thought about what it might be like to hold her. It was infuriating.

She never approached him, but they exchanged glances everytime they were in the same room. Draco could feel his heart hitch everytime her emerald greens locked on his stoney grey eyes. It was like an electric shock through his body. The reaction always stunned him, causing him to look away. But not before he would catch her small smile, the way she would shyly look down afterwards. His reaction disgusted himself, and he found that anger was the quickest way to shut down the strange emotions.

The first event of the triwizard tournament was approaching, and Malfoy was eager to go, if only to see Potter get his ass handed to him. A small part of him nudged him to admit he was excited he would see her there, but he suppressed it.

Malfoy joined his fellow Slytherins on the walk down to the event, which was held in the lowest part of the grounds. Rumor was they brought dragons, but Malfoy scoffed at the thought. Dragons? At Hogwarts? Yeah, right. Malfoy listened half assed as Blaise and Goyle argued over professional Quidditch teams. Draco was more interested in keeping an eye out for the new Gryffindor girl.

Finally he spotted her emerging from the champions tent. Her clothes were mussed,

And she looked flustered. He picked up his pace, concern rippling through him until the flap of the tent was pushed back and he saw Potter reach out and embrace her.

"Be careful, Harry!" Her voice carried over the few feet separating them. She still hadn't noticed him. The concern that had been building in him switched to silent rage.

Her and Potter. Should have known. Draco snorted, changing directions to head back to Blaise when her voice stopped him, jealousy and anger boiling to the surface.

"Malfoy!" Her voice caught him off guard, and Draco stopped in spite of himself, grinding his teeth. She was back to calling him Malfoy.

"What is it, Dumbledore?" He spat at her as she came prancing up.

She looked taken back by his cross demeanor. She hesitated slightly, her cheeks becoming an adorable pink. "I thought I told you I didn't like going by my surname."

Malfoy shrugged, turning his back to her. "Couldn't care less," he said as he made to walk away from her.

"Hey!" She grabbed his elbow and swung him around.

Malfoy snarled at her, jerking his arm back from her grasp. "What do you want, Dumbledore?"

Dahlia's face turned from concerned too angry as she stomped her foot, amber eyes flashing. "Well, I wanted to see if you wanted to sit with me for the first event, but since you're going to be such an ass I would much rather sit by myself!"

With that she spun on her heel and stormed away, leaving him feeling empty. He cursed, turning and strutting away from her retreating figure, plotting his revenge on Potter as he stormed back to his friends.

"Let's get a seat!" He snapped as he rejoined the Slytherins. His friends looked up, surprised at his snarky tone but complied. They filed into seats on the top row of the makeshift stadium. Malfoy observed the open middle of the arena, which was about the size of four quidditch fields. A rough terrain with rocks made it look almost mountainous, sinking into the earth in places and towering above them in others. At the very center of the circle sat a golden egg in a rocky nest.