Chapter One

***

Mordred awoke to the sun leaking through the curtains. The sunlight felt foreign to him - he was used to travelling, waking to the earliest rays of lights. He felt extremely well rested, and his body seemed to be fitting perfectly on the mattress. He took a few moments to soak in this utter paradise. It had been several days, and yet he was not used to this luxury.

He felt a pang in his heart, however, when he thought of Morgana - she had helped him so much, yet he betrayed her... But it had to be done. There was so much corruption and evil within the High Priestess' heart, he knew nothing good would come of it. These complex thoughts nauseated him a little, so he decided to step out of his bed and look out of the window.

"Clothes... I need clothes."

He looked around the room, feeling exposed in just trousers. The room he was allocated was so large it felt more like a social room than a bedroom. Perhaps that's why he felt so uncomfortable with an exposed chest.

He changed his trousers and found a plain shirt - he had assorted pieces from the seamstress, all expenses covered by the king. He fasted a belt to his waist, a sword comfortably sitting there. He always felt as if there were some kind of heavy burden there, almost as if he didn't deserve to have this object of life and death. Still, it made him feel a lot safer....

He was disturbed from his thoughts by a gentle knock on the door. He had become somewhat used to this part of his morning. He uttered a quiet "come in", and in came the servant girl Fei. She carried a tray, with a metal cup containing some kind of liquid and a plate of meats and bread.

"Good morning. I have your breakfast. The King also asked me to inform you he wishes to meet you, alongside the other knights, at the training ground."

It was too early to process so much information. Still, this was strange - so far, he'd spent most of his days wandering the Palace aimlessly, trying to find something for his idle self to do. He now had a reasonable map of the castle embedded into his mind.

"You know, I can get myself breakfast in the mornings."

"It's my job to look after all the knights, including you, Sir Mordred."

The word sir still felt so foreign to him. He was just a servant before, almost like a simple tool. Now he had status and power. Honestly, he wasn't sure how he felt about it. He accepted it regardless.

"Have you eaten yet?"

The girl smiled, shaking her head. In truth, she was quite hungry, but she was also dedicated. Besides, it was a training day today, so her schedule would be significantly more full.

"Not yet, no. But I'll eat soon, I have to get myself prepared for the training session."

"Training session?"

Mordred felt quite naïve asking such a question. It was strange how he used to always know what was going on, but now he had so many new routines and concepts to get his head around. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't enjoying the challenge.

"Yes, it's why you're being summoned to the training grounds. You're a knight of Camelot, and of the round table no less, so you'll need to be skilled with weaponry."

"I see. Well, I'll see you later then."

Mordred watched as the girl bowed and left. He was beginning to make a few new acquaintances as well as her and his preexisting friend Merlin - he had met Gwaine, the very friendly knight. He'd also met Gaius, who came to give him a checkup at one point. It felt nice to create genuine bonds, not based on fear or superiority. He'd never have thought a place so big and open could feel so homely.

***

He only had to ask for directions once before finding the Training Grounds. There were the other knights of the round table, Arthur, and Fei, who had changed from a dress to loose trousers and a shirt.

"Ah, Mordred, we can start now."

The party was now all here. Arthur started off the drill with a simple excersize of blocking attacks. To many of the knights it was tedious, but to Mordred it was a learning experience. They practiced simple moves, parrying and stopping attacks. Mordred overhead a conversation between the servant girl and Arthur.

"So, how is Mordred settling in?"

"From what I've seen, he's doing well. Its a sudden change in environment for him, and yet he almost seems at home already."

The word 'almost' made Mordred uncomfortable, and the hairs on his arms jolting upright. He felt different after leaving Morgana, and he had a growing fear he would never be able to settle in truly. He had spent his life on the run - being in a safe space was a definite change.

"Hey, you alright?"

Suddenly he was back in the real world, the weight of the sword weighing down his hand, and the gentle sway of the armour feeling somewhat more sickening. However, he nodded towards Gwaine, and they continued the excersize.

Next was attacking. The moves felt very basic, even to someone as novice-skilled as Mordred. The pace among the knights seemed to progressively get more aggressive, and before long, the attacks were a lot more intense. Defences were getting sloppier, and the attacks more frenzied. There has always been a poison to holding something as deadly as a sword - it takes over your mind's idleness, thirsting for blood, even if not in an aggressive state.

Mordred soon fell back from a blow to his sword, failing to keep up with such a rapid pace. He felt embarrassed - he was trying so hard, and yet he fell behind. Arthur raised a hand, before clapping.

"Well done. You can all go back except Mordred - we're going to work on your footwork a bit.

"Yes, sire."

He felt his face pale a little. It seemed almost as if he was being threatened, even though he knew it was just some friendly advice. Well... less friendly, Arthur was the king after all. Everyone else left, but Fei stayed behind out of sight - she'd grown a little fond of her new acquaintance, and didn't want his confidence shattered.

"I know I said this was about foot work, but I'd like you to listen for a moment. I want you... to remember something. You're young, and you've got less training than these younger knights. Don't feel too disheartened, you'll get there in the end. You're doing well."

Arthur put a hand on his younger companion's shoulder in a comforting way, before sending him off. He was jolted as he heard a familiar voice that he was beginning to learn.

"He's right you know. You showed great strength, not just in that training... Something is clearly bothering you, and I won't ask what it is. Just know that you're strong, and you can do this."

"We'll see."

He continued his walk back to the Palace, and although he didn't admit it, there was a fire beginning to light in his heart - for this was the encouragement he had been lacking. This was his new start.

This was the moment that changed fate.