Chapter Two

***

It had been several weeks since Mordred had begun his training. He was already a skilled swordsman, and was getting along well with everyone. He had learnt the layout of the castle, and formed many bonds within it. He was now living comfortably, and slowly but surely, he was forgetting the horrors of his past.

The gentle sun beams, which he once thought were offensive, now softly shone onto his waking eyes. He lay there for a while, soaking in the warmth. He loved his room - the sun leaked it into it every morning, bathing it in a stunning illuminance. He knew soon the familiar knock on his door would ring out and, sure enough, he was right.

"Come in."

The door opened, and in came one of his closest companions, Fei. She arrived every morning without fail. The breakfast was often too luxurious for Mordred, but not to seem ungrateful, he usually at it all. Before he came to the Palace he ate slightly too soft fruits, or bread with a crust that was too hard. Meats were usually rodents. Yet here, he had fresh fruits, fluffy slices of bread and neatly sliced meats. The maid bowed, before looking confused.

"If you're looking for my clothes, they're already being cleaned."

She smiled, sighing. He'd done this multiple times already - it was boring being so idle in his spare time, so he'd often do many tasks like taking clothes to the cleaners on his own.

"You know, if you keep this up I'll be jobless."

Fei smiled once more, appreciating the help but knowing she should really be the one doing the jobs. Most of the round table knights were appreciative, Mordred was even more so. She supposed it was due to his more aggressive past, or what he'd heard of it.

"Maybe this could help compensate?"

He extended his hand bearing a flower, and she was surprised. She had recieved flirtatious remarks from the other knights before, but it always seemed more like banter. Mordred's gift, however, seemed more innocent.

"It's a carnation."

She was hesitant for a split second, before accepting it. The fragrance was gentle and yet so pungent. She smelt it for a moment before meeting Mordred's eyes, who had been carefully watching her.

"Thank you. Do you know a lot about flowers?"

She almost regretted the question for  a moment, as a gleam of fear briefly flashed in his vivid blue eyes. It was fleeting, however, as the calm and youthful aesthetic soon returned.

"Well, yes... Before I came here, I travelled a lot. Bad events happened during my travelling... so I learned to focus more on the nicer and prettier things in life, and distracted myself with them."

Mordred expected an idle understanding or a dismissive attitude from his friend, but instead he saw a deep understanding reflected in her eyes, perhaps from experience. This wasn't the time to ask.

"I'm sorry... for all you had to go through."

This took him by surprise - no one had never apologised. But there was also a sense of hurt in her voice, as if she understood some of his pain. He found it somewhat surprising the amount she seemed to comprehend. People seemed to show more compassion and generous emotions here than his past.

"I should go, I need to prepare for later."

"Later?"

She had forgotten Mordred did not yet know about the quest. She also wasn't supposed to have told him. She internally scolded herself.

"Oh, just my normal tasks."

Even she realised it was the most obvious lie of the century. She always had been a bad liar, and it had hindered her in many ways. This was perhaps the most irritating of times.

"Okay, now what are you really doing later?"

She sighed, knowing she had to admit defeat. If she tried to lie her way out of it again, she'd only dig herself deeper. She blushed a little at her foolishness before replying.

"I'm not really supposed to tell you, but there's a quest later on... They thought you were still settling in and training, so they didn't want to allow you to go..."

He felt disappointed that they didn't have enough faith in him to let him go... Still, he wouldn't go and ask to go since he didn't want Fei getting in trouble. He had to think of some other way to get on the quest - he needed to prove himself. He turned to his companion once more.

"I'll leave you to get prepared - I'll see you soon."

She curtsied to him out of habit, holding the flower. She delicately placed it into her hair, hesitating for a moment before continuing on with her day, feeling somewhat happier.

***

The knights were climbing onto their horses, preparing to ride out. There were reports of a wanted sorcerer around, and he was dangerous. Arthur was at the front, leading the group. Mordred approached with a horse, drawing everyone's attention.

"Sire, I request to come with you. I want to prove myself."

"This quest is out of your depths. You're safer here."

Yet Arthur saw the fiery determination in the young man's eyes, and his decision was swayed almost instantly. Besides, they had a woman with them - then again, it was hard to say no to her. It always had been.

"Please sire."

Arthur sighed, pulling his glove up his wrist. He had no choice now, especially since the pleading look on Mordred's face looked so innocent.

"If you're careful and stay with us, then you can ride with us. This will be your first quest."

A triumphant and pleased look came across Mordred's face. He moved towards the back, where he was watched carefully. He was happy to see Fei's familiar face giving a comforting look to him.

His first quest... he had to prove himself. He knew he could do it.

"Move out."