Chapter 3 - Very Serious Wingman Business

💊

"How are my two favorite guys doing?"

Kirishima's heart slammed into his sternum at the sound of her voice, his eyes flying up to find Nurse Practitioner Watanabe sailing into Kaminari's room on her skates. Something seemed off about her, though, he noticed. Her positivity and smile seemed forced... or maybe it was her red, puffy eyes. Had she been crying?

"Double okays over here, hot stuff," Kaminari grinned, holding two thumbs up.

Her smile grew a little wider, a little more genuine, and Kirishima got the courage to say, "Same here." He sat next to Kaminari in an uncomfortable chair, the two of them playing Lego Jurassic Park on Kirishima's customized Red Riot-themed PlayStation that he'd brought from home. He'd changed into black track pants, sneakers, and an aqua hoodie and grabbed a bunch of stuff he thought Kami might want to pass the time, including the PlayStation, before heading back over to the hospital.

Natsuki laughed, and Kirishima had to look away, his cheeks warming at the sight. "That's good news," she said. Gesturing to the end of Kaminari's bed, she asked, "Can I sit?" Kaminari nodded, and she got comfy, perching on the edge with one leg tucked under herself. "We have just a little bit before your surgery, so I just wanted to go over what you should expect and if you have any questions."

She explained how long the surgery would last, how long recovery was expected to take, and how long Kaminari would have to stay at the hospital before he could go home. Just as she was about to ask if he had any questions, she was cut off.

"Why are you such a GODDAMN IDIOT?" Bakugo trudged into the room with coffees in hand and thrust one at Kirishima, which Kirishima took without question. His eyes narrowed at Kaminari, his anger focused at him too. "I can't fucking take you anywhere, Dime-Store Pikachu," Bakugo grumbled, sinking into an empty chair and frowning at Natsuki. "Who the fuck is this?"

Thrusting out a hand, Natsuki introduced herself. "Natsuki Watanabe, Nurse Practitioner and lead on Kaminari's case," she said, eyeing the person she knew was Ground Zero. She hadn't anticipated that the three of them were friends outside of work too. But hey, the more the merrier.

Bakugo sneered at her outstretched hand and sipped his drink. "Whatever. When's the idiot going to be able to get back to work?" It was too early to be faking niceties.

"If you would have been here five minutes ago, you would have heard Miss Watanabe explain," Kirishima said calmly, annoyed that Bakugo was being such a dick.

"Oi! I will go find someone else that will happily drink this nasty-ass coffee if you're going to fucking be like that, Shitty Hair!"

"Hey, hey, hey," Natsuki stood and held up her hands in surrender, "Kaminari's surgery is in ten minutes, so we're all going to calm down and make sure he's ready." She leveled a steely gaze at Bakugo. "Just because you're Ground Zero doesn't mean I'm afraid to call security on you or kick your ass, by the way. Chill the fuck out, buddy."

Grumbling in his seat, Bakugo frowned at his coffee and said nothing - at least that Natsuki could hear.

"Okay, good," she said, turning to Kaminari, "So, any questions?"

He stared at her for a second, eyes slowly going unfocused and watery. "I've never had surgery before," he mumbled.

"Nothing to be scared of," she answered, sliding closer and taking up his hand. "I've had plenty of surgeries. I'm fine, right?" Relatively speaking, of course.

Kaminari smirked and cleared his throat, rubbing his eyes to smear away the tears there without her seeing. "You're more than fine, Watanabe," he replied, attempting to add a flirty tone to his voice despite his tears.