Chapter 2

"That was just as good as the first three times I've seen it!" Claire exclaimed to the group. It was 9:00 pm and the movie had just finished. They exited the cinema, walking down the dimly lit street. John fiddled with the keys in his hoodie pocket, barely looking up from the pavement ahead of him. He could barely focus on the film, his mind had been whizzing with productive ways to spend his time. He should have gone to work, his manager didn't try to hide her displeasure in John's last-minute time off. He'd have to work harder to make up for it. It was so late, too. How could he possibly finish his chores now? Grunting, John scrunched his nose and bit his cheek.

Going out was a mistake.

"What a good way to start the weekend, huh?" Adrion shoved John's shoulder, grinning, "I think we all appreciate the short break."

The shorter boy nodded half-heartedly, not saying a word. Claire poked the bottom of her chin, letting go of Adrion's hand. She held John's forearm, getting his attention.

"What's on your mind?" she asked, reading into his tired eyes.

"It's nothing." he shook himself from her grasp, "I just still have some things to do before dad gets home in the morning."

"Oh come on, don't say spent the whole movie thinking about your to-do list!" Claire frowned, "This outing was for your sake!"

Adrion piped up, "Well actually-"

"Not now!" she barked at him but still glared at the slouched ravenette, "We hoped it would help you relax and, you know, live a little."

"In that case, my apologies for disappointing you." John said looking straight ahead. His tone was flat and uninterested, "I'm just a failure trying to make up for it, so excuse me if I'm a bit distracted."

"John!" she yelled and stopped walking, "You always do this! You fixate on something until it completely takes over your life. I do my best to be patient and understand, but this is unhealthy! Do you even care about me and Adrion anymore?" tears came to her eyes. Above all else, this had been what bothered her the most. As much as she was worried about her friend's wellbeing, she simply missed him. With every day, he grew colder and more distant, swept away in a chase for perfection. These past two years were peaceful but seemed almost manufactured or smoothed over, like a photoshopped image. Too serene. Was this the breaking point?

"O-of course I care." John's jaw dropped, his brow creasing, "Why do you think I came out tonight? Because I wanted to? No! I joined because you asked, Claire!" How could she think otherwise?! He did so much to change for the better. For them.

Something in her snapped, "Oh, how generous of you, Your Highness." she bowed, "We can never repay you for the blessing that are the scraps of your precious time. Thank you for your pity."

John stood flabbergasted. He was motionless as his best friend's words slowly set in. He couldn't believe it. The audacity. His brow furrowed and the whites of his eyes seemed to glow. He clenched his fists and stiffened his stance, staring down the girl in front of him. Huffing through his teeth, he turned and started walking away from the pair.

"John! Wait-" Adrion called

"Fu*k the both of you." John said, pulling the blue hood over his head, "Ungrateful pieces of sh*t."

-------------------

A spit of cold crashed against his forehead. It was followed by another and then a few more until he was caught in a terrential downpour. It was almost ten and John broke into a sprint through the streets of New Bostin. Even in a small town like this, the view of bright lights cutting through the shadows was entrancing. He had no direction or destination. Only the need to escape. He would have taken back his words in a heartbeat. But he knew all too well that the things you say can never be erased. Claire and Adrion would never forget and they would never view him in the same way.