Chapter Five~

Ivy clamped down on Alby's arm tightly. He was limp, every step making him seem heavier as they moved quickly; Ivy's arms screaming in pain. She released him from her shoulders at an old pine tree, the smell of the gardens confusing her.

Why had he led her here?

The smell of soil and growing plants filled her nose, the old biter smell fading all together. She turned to Alby with surprise, her lips shutting at the sight of him.

Alby was fine; he'd clearly known this would heal him.

"You know! You knew what it was before I even got to you!" Ivy yelled; outraged!

Alby nodded without a reply. He simply walked past her, taking the smell of the Gladers gardens in with one breath. "Yes, I know what it is. I just didn't expect it to happen again."

Ivy neared him angrily. She was furious that he hadn't told anyone, and now all of them were in a mess. "Well you better start explaining. Because this-"

She turned, her pointer finger directing him to the sight of Newt. His body laying upon one of the Med-jack tables; Gally and Minho surrounding him worriedly. "It's only going to get worse." She finished.

Alby cleared his throat, stress becoming visible on his sickly face. "We need to get the Gladers to the union plants! It's the only way to make the effects stop." He ordered.

Ivy took a couple steps forwards, her face becoming sour. "After this is over! I will make you tell me, just fix them!" She yelled! Her legs turning her away from her leader as she raced off after Newt and the others.

Alby watched, silently sighing. He regretted not telling her, leaving her to fall into the same mess he'd fell into years prior. It'd been two months since she'd arrived in the Glade, and she already acted like a leader.

"Alby! Shucking help us, stop standing around!" Newt shouted!

Ivy rushed over, Minho and Newt slugged over both her shoulders. It took her a minute to reach Alby, letting Minho and Newt rest by the pine tree Alby'd laid at earlier.

"Gally's near the animal pens, I need you to get him while I round up the rest." She panted, turning away from Alby and the boys. "Get to the gardens!" She shouted. Gathering the Gladers attention as she raced around the Glade.

A half hour later, Ivy sat sternly against a pine tree, every Glader surrounding her as they breathed in the healing air. Everything had died down, the night nearing as Ivy stared at the maze openings; the doors beginning to close with loud thunderous booms.

Her eyes widened when a cough sounded through-out the silence, but the voice following made her ease. "Sorry, air went down the wrong pipe," Minho whispered, his breath tickling the back of her neck.

The silence was suddenly broken by Alby trudging his way in from the forest. He had an old rag tied across his face, and a spear dangling from his right hand. "We'll have to stay here for the night, the smell should be gone by morning," he assured them, every Glader sighing with relief.

Ivy scoffed and stood quickly, "Alby, we need to talk," she whispered. Minho and Newt stopping halfway through their conversation, fear flooding their faces as they stared at the two of them.

Alby motioned behind him to their old tool shack, he gave her the head start and followed like a child in trouble; Ivy was first to break the silence. "Explain! What was it? I want to know-"

Alby cut her off, gently placing his palm over her mouth. "This has to go in the vault Ivy! Promise me!" He whispered loudly, glaring around as he removed his hand slowly. "I promise, just tell me." She replied.

Fear and concern fell over the two as Alby nervously pulled her off into the woods; away from the Gladers. "The creators didn't just make the Grievers, they made other things Ivy. Things that could create sickening smells and poisons, and I'm surprised you haven't ran into one yet, seeing as you like running at night," Alby replied.

Ivy stood confused and terrified, a familiar feeling she'd felt her first day in the Glade. "This is a lot to take in...and I'm the only one you've told?" She asked, walking around in circles.

"You're the only other Glader still living that knows, when others found out, mostly the Runners, they got to curious. No one's lived to tell what they are or what they do." Alby replied, crossing his arms as he checked around them.

"I call them Reapers!..."