Feedback vs. Criticism vs. Review

One of the main reasons for the Wattpad community is for the writer's growth and to help shape them into the writer they hope to be someday

One of the main reasons for the Wattpad community is for the writer's growth and to help shape them into the writer they hope to be someday.  It's very important to some writers, but not to all of us. Some writers grow in a different way and may request you don't leave criticism or feedback.  I'll explain why in a moment. 

Profile

If your goal is to help a writer grow by leaving feedback, always read over their profile or the first page of their story.  They may define what they are looking for and how you can help. Many will explain their strong areas and point out their weaknesses, so there really is no need to point out their weaknesses if they already know.  In this area, they may ask you not to leave a judgment at all.  There is a difference between feedback and criticism please do know the difference.

Feedback

1. Information about reactions to a product, a person's performance of a task, etc. which is used as a basis for improvement.

2. The modification or control of a process or system by its results or effects, e.g., in a biochemical pathway or behavioral response.

Criticism

1. The expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes.

"He received a lot of criticism"

2. The analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work.

"Alternative methods of criticism supported by well-developed literary theories"

Review

A critical appraisal of a book, play, movie, exhibition, etc., published in a newspaper or magazine.

From psychology today:

Criticism typically involves making negative assumptions about (or "mind-reading") the other person's motives. Feedback, however, generally avoids speculating on the other person's intent, focusing instead on the actual results of their behavior.

Not all writers are on Wattpad want to hit the big time and establish a literary career.  Some just enjoy writing and they don't have any plans to publish their work anywhere but Wattpad.  For a few, it's just a hobby and they enjoy writing their way.  It's more about community and enjoyment for them more than anything.  When a writer begins to write for the reader and not themselves, they may start to lose their emotional connection to the story and their characters. 

If you are interested in leaving feedback please respect their wishes if they are noted. Always keep in mind the courage it took for someone to post their work for your entertainment. 

I am one of those sensitive readers and do request only positive comments.  If you don't like it, you really don't have to say anything at all.  This isn't to stroke a writer's ego, it's because the writer is too sensitive to take your comments as something that could help.  Some of us learn better from simply writing and identifying our weaknesses on our own. 

Some writers thrive on feedback.  They take it in stride, learn from it, and grow as a writer.  If there is no request, you could probably just figure they want the feedback.  That's why most writers are on Wattpad anyway. 

Grammar

My biggest weakness, gosh I hate it.  Not just that, but typo's, mistakes, and editing.  Editing, editing, editing..yuck!

As mentioned above, we are not paid.  Most of us cannot afford proper editing software and we certainly cannot pay a professional editor.  Not to mention how spellcheck sometimes likes to throw in some really crazy surprises.  Then our eyes scan right over them when we try to edit.  When we are lucky readers volunteer to edit but they miss the mistakes too, nobody is perfect. 

This is another good time to look for the writer's requests.  Some want them pointed out and others don't want the help. 

Readers are a great way to edit our work, but Wattpad doesn't allow us to fix it from our notifications.  This means if a reader points out that something is misspelled we don't get direct access to fix it from the notification.  We have to go into editing mode then search for that one work or mistake through chapters we've already scanned.  There's thousands of words in a chapter and it can be time consuming just to find that one tiny mistake.  Not to mention the fact that Wattpad doesn't always show us exactly where the mistake is in reader mode.  If you are going to point out a mistake do the writer a favor by giving them a little more information than just correctly spelling the word in a comment.  Tell them where to find it, like "Chapter four paragraph six, the word AND is misspelled," or something along those lines.  Sometimes we get an error and we can't even see the sentence the word is in or even a paragraph.

I got to a point where I just asked people to stop.  I could never quickly find the mistake my eyes scanned over twenty times already and please keep in mind that I am visually impaired.  With that being said, don't just presume a writer is too weak to handle the repercussions of their mistakes.  They could be in a situation like me where they have a visual impairment and it gets frustrating.  Ask yourself if you really think they don't know how to spell that word and if that one tiny word really destroys the book for you.  Like I said earlier, if the writer makes no mention about not pointing it out then go ahead and give them all the information you can give, but if they ask you not to do it then don't do it and save yourself the time.

I welcome mistakes being pointed out, but I do ask that only interactive readers point out those mistakes.  If you're a silent reader and the only comments you leave are to point out a flaw, then just don't comment.  I have actually muted people who don't respect my wishes and it's not to be mean in any way, it's to save myself the frustration.  This can easily be seen as criticism and negativity can cause writer's block.  Positivity should ALWAYS outweigh negativity.

Even if you feel like a story is absolutely horrible you should always be kind.  Don't discourage writers because they are here to learn and grow.  Sensitive writers could easily just give up when all they really need is to build come confidence.  It's your job as a reader to help build the writers up, not destroy them.