Sh$t Happens

Where do I even start with this one?  Shit happens, glitches occur, some readers are mean, and characters die

Where do I even start with this one?  Shit happens, glitches occur, some readers are mean, and characters die.  What can I say, it's a perfect world?  Nope, this world is very imperfect and it's out of our control.

Glitches

I was shocked over the last few weeks about the behavior of some readers.  Wattpad had some glitches and guess what?  It happens to every single internet site out there, Wattpad works hard to provide a great site, but shit happens. 

As writers, we have no control over Wattpad glitches.  If a chapter doesn't show up for you and it's showing up for others, we can do nothing.  It's out of our control.  We don't have a magic button that fixes anything.  We can't go in and fix that glitch for you.  If a chapter is doubled, paragraphs are doubled, chapters or books won't open, Wattpad is down or you can't vote, it's not us.  We have the same amount of control as you.  Actually, maybe even less because if the glitch is on your end we can't even fill out a ticket.  I had a reader recently that was missing a chapter in one of my stories, but it was fine on my end.  I wanted to help but it was out of my control.  She told me I needed to take better care of my readers and put in a little more effort for them.  Really?  I have forty books that are free for you to read, but I need to do more?  I told her to refresh the app, restart her device, submit a ticket, or go to the help center, but that wasn't enough.  She now refuses to read my work because I wouldn't resolve the issue for her.  I couldn't even submit the ticket because it would do no good, the glitch wasn't on my end.  I apologized, was kind, and tried everything to help, but it wasn't enough.  I can't stress it enough, it's not our fault and we cannot fix the issue for you.  She wasn't the only one having the problem and a few others got upset as well.  I'll leave it at that, shit happens and it's out of our control. 

Abusive Readers

*sigh*

What can I say?  They happen, and there are a few reasons why.  Some I don't understand but others I have some idea why they act the way they do.  I can only give a few examples of things that have happened to me and what I view as an abusive reader.  You might be surprised that it's not always readers but writers too.

Negative Reading Lists

So cruel, instead of leaving a review or a comment they add our books to reading lists that are quite literally mean.  Here are a few examples:

Blah
Writer Should Give Up
???
Didn't Finish
Stupid
Don't Waste Your Time
🤢🤢🤢

I have even had mine filed under "More Stupid White People"

If you take a moment to look at these profiles you'll see a few things. 

1. They rarely have followers.
2. It's all negative.
3. Some are writers themselves.

Jealousy is what I guess comes from other writers but many of these profiles are dummy profiles created to hurt feelings.  Please just ignore them and don't judge books that are placed on these reading lists.