Promotion and Etiquette

Only months ago we had forums to help us promote our work.  We could share our stories and easily make friends to help each other out and give advice.  Sadly, this is no longer the case.  But, there are still ways to promote your work.  Some things were already mentioned in the previous chapter, but let's go over some ideas and some proper etiquette. 

Social Media

Many of you may use a pen name, I do, Grace Madden is a family name.  You may find it hard to start an extra Facebook account if you aren't ready to share your work with family and friends.  This doesn't mean you can't have an Instagram or Twitter account. 

Share your social media links in your profile.  Then use appropriate tags when you post on other platforms.  I haven't used social media much but maybe a few experienced writers can share some great hashtags or elaborate more on this subject.  I do believe you will have some success promoting outside of Wattpad.  There are a few Discord links you may be able to find that were created to replace the writer's forum.  If you know of any just comment here to help the others find them.

Share other people's work on your social media.  Maybe they will return the favor someday!

Asking for help with promotion

I cannot stress this enough, ask in a direct message if you're looking for advice. Please don't do it directly on someone's wall.  That could be the same as promoting without permission on someone's profile.  Make sure you read the writer's profile in case they state they don't want to be asked for help.  It's not that they are being mean, they may not have the time.

If you haven't taken the time read and engage in someone's book, it's probably rude for you to ask for help promoting your work.  I personally would never ask a writer to read my work if I've not read and engaged in theirs. 

There are a lot of writers that ask others not to request a read for read.  These arrangements can be found in book clubs if you can find them during a simple Wattpad search. 

Votes for votes are just wrong.  Most people will be offended you asked. 

Your Strongest Tool

I am repeating this topic, your most powerful tool will be reading and commenting on other stories.  Your goal isn't to sell your product but to sell yourself.  Consider your profile your brand, you need to get out there and sell it.  Strike up conversations on other people's books.  There's no need to tell them you are a writer, just talk about the book or share an experience that's similar to a scene in the book.  A great way to make friends is laughter.  After you've struck up a conversation, follow that reader.  In order to follow you back, they have to visit your profile and they might be pleased to see you're also a writer.

Your main objective isn't to gain the writer's attention, it's to gain readers' attention using your personality alone.  The writer will appreciate the engagement in their story because comments play a huge role in the algorithm.  You're helping the writer and yourself.

@ your friends in people's books!  If a writer sees you're drawing traffic to their story they will want to thank you!  That's an open invitation to make friends with another writer.

Contests

Yes, contests are good and you need to join as many as possible.  Also, look for book clubs and special projects.  Wattpad isn't the only place to find contests, search for regular profiles too.  Feel free to promote contests in the comments here if you have any to suggest.

Don't Ghost People

I have helped other writers and once they seem to get what they want they ghost me.  No more good mornings or hellos, they just worry about themselves and forget about you for some reason. Be a true friend, not a user, it's not good for your reputation. 

Always Follow Wattpad Guidelines

I'll be the first to admit the guidelines aren't always clear.  Do not under any circumstances do something outside of the guidelines just because you see other writers doing it.  Wattpad may not give you any warning before they delete your story.  You're playing with fire if you break the rules.  Also, keep in mind many of the guidelines respect Canadian law.  It's very easy for Americans to get confused by our first amendment.  Not every country has that and you've just got to suck it up.  Plus, our first amendment rights are not protected in social media.  That's a whole other lesson about the constitution, I'd rather you research on your own to gain a better understanding.