Late Night Talks

Chapter 13

After DeNunez had gotten back, truth or dare was officially over. Thank god.

We all looked up at Squints as he sat above us to tell us the legendary story of "The Beast". These were the answers of the questions I had asked earlier in the day when I apparently almost "died" trying to retrieve the ball Ham had hit over the fence. Scotty and I didn't believe them but after looking out the window our doubts were completely changed.

After the whole encounter, we were all exhausted. It had been a crazy day and we were all ready to call it a night. Everyone snuggled into their pillows and blankets.

"Guys..." Benny suddenly catches everyone's attention, stopping everyone's movements. He looks across the room at the gang

"Aren't you forgetting something?" he asks everyone.

"Oh, right...." Squints trails off.

"Oh yeah.." Yeah-Yeah says.

What is going on?

"Rayne, Scott...We're all really sorry." Someone apologizes.

"Truly."

"Completely"

"We were total assholes."

One by one, all of the guys apologized, to the both of us, for treating us like dirt when we first arrived here. I couldn't believe it. As the boys said their apologies, I glanced over at Benny. He had told me, no—promised me earlier this afternoon that he would speak to the group about this and he did.

I didn't actually believe it would happen. Hell, I had forgotten about it until now.

Slipping into my sleeping bag, a candle is blown out and the room becomes covered in darkness. I lay my head down, staring into the black emptiness. In no time, the only sound I hear are the soft chirping of the crickets outside and the very audible snoring of Ham to my left.

I sigh, frustrated, fidgeting around to try and get comfortable. To my dismay, I have no luck.

I rise out of my toasty blanket cocoon, tiptoeing to the exit. I reach it with no difficulty and mentally high five myself for being the skilled ninja that I am. I climb down the ladder, the sound of the crickets getting louder.

The air is windy and chilly, I rub my arms up and down with my hands. My steps go over to the tree with my bra, still, flapping away like a godamn banner. I roll my eyes, turning to lean my body against the oak and slide down.

The strong winds push my hair behind my shoulders. It's cold but I can't find myself to go back up.

The kindness of Benny Rodriguez was a constant reminder of how someone like me doesn't deserve his hospitality. A drained sigh escapes my lips as I sit and feel bad for myself once again tonight. I had let my anger and self pity affect the way I treated him. I pushed Benny away. I rest my head on my knees in shame.

Lifting my face back up, I spot legs coming down the the ladder. When reaches me, he stands off to the side a little. I do not look up. I only stare at his P.F Flyers.

"Hey," he greets, sending chills down my spin from the sound of his voice.

"Hi." I say awkwardly, still not finding the courage to look him in the eyes.

"No shoes?" he asks. I look down at my pale feet that were bare.

"Er...No." I confirm, sheepishly. "I want to avoid what happened earlier.." I internally wince referring to my face plant to the ground. I've embarrassed myself tonight more I have my entire time on earth.