Chapter 5

"You should not exist." I said to her, narrowing my eyes. I didn't think she could show any more fear than she was already showing, but she could-her face...Oh, her face. She looked as though she had stared into the eyes of death itself-my eyes-and was told when and how she was going to die. I had lied, of course. Just to psych her out and disturb her a bit before she died. She's perfectly normal, just a bit unlucky to be right here, right now, with Soleil. It could be considered cruel to tell her that lie and make her think something's wrong with her, but it wouldn't really matter in the end, I guess. 

She took a step back, clearly shaken. Her brown eyes were wide in fear, and that dog's tail she had was starting to tuck between her legs. Being what looked like a dog demihuman, her fear was more obvious than it already was. 
"Kill them, RM." Sho commanded me.
....You don't need to tell me. 
I took a step forwards, and then flinched for a moment too long as something hit the side of my face. It didn't hurt, but it was a bit surprising. I glanced at the ground where it fell, and I saw a still-lit candlestick that was starting to scorch the wood beneath it. I turned my attention back to the demihuman and found that Soleil had grabbed her arm, and they were both running away.
I could very well chase them down in an instant, snap both of their necks. Kill them instantly.
I'm faster than the both of them combined-it wouldn't really be much of an effort to do that.

Instead, I decided to let them go.
Even if they didn't die in the demon-infested woods that lay ahead, I could always go back and kill them later-I always know where Soleil is. The spirit of my brother possessing him makes his location extremely obvious to me, no matter how far away.
"They're getting away!" Sho turned to me, upset. "Why aren't you going after them?!" 
"....Nah." I turned and began walking back towards the entrance to leave. I smelled smoke-the floor was starting to burn. Sho caught up with me. "What? Why?! You don't make any sense." 
I turned to look at her, and she flinched for a second. Scared of me, even though she was the one who brought me back from the dead. 
"Take a look at where they were heading. This girl's house is close to the Ichor Woods-it's practically at her back door. Hell, I'm surprised she lived to adulthood, being that close to those woods." 
"...Oh. I see what you mean now... But you killing them would be faster, and also guaranteed." 
Her face softened up a bit. I took a glance back, and saw that the rooms behind us were slowly being consumed by flames. I continued to walk away from the burning house, the gravel path crunching beneath my feet.  "We've been focusing on Soleil-flambuvel-for far too long-two whole months. We don't even know what the other two look like yet. We can go and take care of them, and then come back to him, if he hasn't died on his own by then."
"...I guess that makes sense. So, where are we heading to next?"
"Waix."
"Wait, weren't we just there for Soleil? Didn't you just say-" ... She's so irritating. "...I made a deal with his brother, a deal that he didn't keep up his end of. I need to take care of him."
Sho narrowed her eyes. "Alright, whatever you say, RM." 
I took one last glance back at the wooden house. It was set ablaze, the fire having spread throughout the entire building. Soon it would be ashen rubble. 
I looked away and continued walking into deeper woods with a less clear path with Sho. In all honesty, I really didn't feel like dealing with Soleil-flambuvel right now. 
I guess I just didn't want to hurt the man who carried the soul of the one being who cared about me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------POV of my personal favorite character in this story hell yea
webcomic link: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/hollow-hearted-life/list?title_no=422138 (surprisingly enough, a bit further ahead than the written story)