Book 1: Chapter 9

The doors to the Hall of Heroes burst open, revealing Masters Shifu and Shai Lung, the Furious Five, and the Dragon Warrior. Halfway to the Hall, Shai's strength suddenly returned to her, she felt she could take one an endless supply of Warriors. She quietly laughed - she knew that would not be the case tomorrow... if there was a tommorow.
With the Five quickly limping behind, they hurriedly made their way to the pool at the very end of the Hall. Shifu carefully grabbed Oogway's staff from his mural, then stood on the very edge of the water. He began making swift movements with the staff, as if he was doing some sort of combat training with an invisible foe. The pink peach petals that littered the blue water began flying up in a whirlwind towards the golden dragon that had been placed on the ceiling many years ago.
Once the they reached the Scroll that was securely placed in the dragon's mouth, a single petal landed on one of its ends. Shifu stopped, and everyone waited in anticipation. The Scroll came loose, falling from its place towards the water. Shifu outstretched his arm, holding the u-shaped end where it would land. The Scroll landed perfectly in the 'u', the tip of the wood just touched the water's surface.
"Whoa," Po exclaimed excitedly. Shifu drew the staff in, then held the Scroll in his hands after placing Oogway's staff gently on the floor.
"Read it, Po," Shifu said, holding out the Dragon Scroll for him to take. "Read it, and become the Dragon Warrior. Legend has it, that whoever reads it will be able to hear a butterfly's wing beat."
Po "whoa"-ed again, then started rambling on, asking all the different kinds of stuff he'd be able to do. A shiver crawled up Shai's spine - the hairs along her back and neck raised. She closed her eyes and saw a vision of Tai Lung just on the border of the Valley of Peace; he would be here within a few hours. She snapped out of her vision and sighed, for Po was still asking questions.
"Po," Shai said loudly, getting his and everyone else's attention. "Tai Lung is at the border... he will be here in a few hours. You must read it, and hurry."
Po nodded, "Yes, Master. Sorry, Master."
Po tried to open it, but failed. He handed it to Shifu for him to open - he opened it easily, then handed it back. Po took out the Scroll, and slowly unrolled it. As a golden light began to light up his face, he began screaming. Everyone looked at him, not sure of what was going on. Once it was fully opened, Po stared at it - still screaming - for a few moments, then his arms went limp in defeat.
"It's blank," he stated.
The others stared at him in confusion. "Blank," Shifu asked, his voice laced with disbelief.
Po held it out to him. "Here! Look!"
Shifu looked away and shook his head. "But I am forbidden to look upon the Scroll!" After he said that, he quickly turned to face Po. "Let me see that," he ordered. He took the Scroll from Po, and looked at it from all sides. "Blank," he confirmed.
This got Shai thinking. "Why would it be blank?" She asked herself. She thought back to when she had asked Oogway about it; but that didn't help, either.
"Maybe Oogway really was just a crazy old turtle," Po suggested.
"No," Shifu shot back. "He was much wiser than any of us."
"What do we do now, Master," Viper asked.
Shai felt the full gravity of the situation crush her. "You must evacuate the Valley," Shifu told them. "Get the Scroll as far away from here as possible."
Tigress looked at him. "And what will you do," she asked.
"I will face Tai Lung," Shifu stated.
Shai nodded. She knew that this would be the only way. "I will stay, too," she said, not allowing anyone to tell her otherwise.
"But-..."
Shifu shook his head, interrupting Po. "You must go. Quickly! Before Tai Lung gets here!" Shifu didn't leave any other option for his students. Po stood there, a defeated, fearful expression on his face. Tigress took him by the arm, and gently dragged him away.
Once they were gone Shifu and Shai made their way to the top of the stairs to watch them leave the Jade Palace.

-----

Ever since the Five and Po left, Shifu and Shai stood at their post. They watched the light of the distant lanterns march away from the village below them. Shai's hairs raised - he was even closer now, basically right on top of them. She turned her eyes down to Master Shifu. "It has been an honor to fight by your side, Master," she said.
Shifu looked up and smiled sadly - the first kind of smile she has seen him wear in 20yrs - but it quickly faded. "I wish I could have taught you more, Shai," he sighed. She shook her head, smiling slightly.
"No need to apologise, Master," she stated. "What is done is done; I wouldn't change it for anything."
It became silent for a few more moments, until thunder crashed in the background. A thick lightning bolt illuminated everything in blinding white. When everything cleared, a dark, looming figure stood before them.
"I have finally returned home, Master."