I Want To Eat Your Pancreas

Main Characters:

Sakura Yamauchi

Sakura is a young girl with a thin build

Sakura is a young girl with a thin build. She is considered pretty (at least by Haruki). Along with this, her hair color is a light brown with a long bang covering the center of her forehead in between her eyes, with long locks of hair on either side of her face that reaches until her shoulders and curls slightly upward at the ends, with the rest of her hair running down her back. Her eyes are small with her pupils being a light brown or possibly even a dark hazel.

She is often seen wearing her school uniform consisting of a pale beige blazer with dark brown details, a white shirt, a blue bow, and a pleated skirt of the same color paired with long, dark grey socks and brown loafers. At other times, she is seen wearing different plain clothing outside of school. Throughout the story, it is said and shown that Sakura is a rather rambunctious person by nature which she admits to. It is compounded by her rather immature attitude and actions towards the world around her, having to constantly be quieted in the library she worked at.

However, deep down, Sakura is shown to be incredibly scared of dying, which she revealed to Haruki. Despite this, Sakura tries her best to live her life to its fullest.

Haruki Shiga

Haruki is a plain-looking high school student that often wears a listless expression (at least according to his fellow classmates)

Haruki is a plain-looking high school student that often wears a listless expression (at least according to his fellow classmates). His hair is jet-black and styled in a way that often occurs when males let their hair naturally grow and not style it, adding to his overall common and simple appearance.

He is often seen wearing his school uniform consisting of a pale beige blazer with brown details, a white shirt, a blue necktie with black dress pants, and dark brown loafers. Otherwise, he seems to be wearing plain colored t-shirts and plain outfits that don't really make him stand out.

At the start of the story, he is anti-social and listless. He hardly portrayed any emotions in the story. As the story continues, it is shown that he is a coward and is afraid to have any relationships as he doesn't want him, and others to get hurt by his actions. But at the end of the story, he learns how to be more honest with his feelings. He seems kind, grateful to others. Throughout the story with the help of Sakura, he learns how to express himself and interact more with people. He learns how to care for people, love, and be loved by people. It is during this change where he somehow starts revealing his true feelings towards Sakura.

STORY

Haruki comes across a book in a hospital waiting room. He soon discovers that it is a diary kept by his very popular classmate, Sakura, who reveals to him that she is secretly suffering from a fatal pancreatic illness. They become friends and spend time with each other. She eventually makes a promise that she'll tell him when she's dying. The next night, Haruki is watching the news with his family, which reveals that Sakura was stabbed on her way home and that she is dead. He breaks down and does not attend her funeral. Later, he visits her mother and asks for Sakura's diary. Her mother recognizes him and reveals Sakura left a letter for him. The letter tells him to keep the diary and to make her best friend Kyouko read it, as she was unaware of Sakura's illness and hated Haruki. Before leaving, Sakura's mother asks for his name. He replies "Haruki" to which she replies, "so you two were meant to be," explaining the meaning of their names, Haruki (spring tree) and Sakura (cherry blossom). He meets with Kyouko, who is in denial that Sakura ever lied to her, but after reading the diary she runs away. Haruki runs after and asks her to be his friend, for it was Sakura who made him open up to people and he wants to honor her memory. The movie ends with Haruki and Kyouko visiting Sakura's grave a year later, the two of them have become friends.

Thanks for reading :)