prologue.

"Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome back to the South Korean National Junior Swim Competition! This will be the one-hundred meter freestyle competition today," the announcer spoke into the mic, causing the crowd to erupt into cheers of excitement. "I'm sure the crowd is as anxious as I am to see the outcome of today's meet."

"Ah, yes," the female announcer agreed, "Doesn't today's swim lineup include Kang Taehyun and Park Jisung?"

"Yes, yes, yes," he answered, reading off the script that sat on the table in front of him, "Two of the fastest junior swimmers in South Korea."

"I wonder who will take gold today. Will it be Park Jisung, who's taken gold every year since he was 14, or Kang Taehyun, the mysterious and fast newcomer?"

"My vote is on Jisung," the man decided, "His past competitions can vouch for my opinion."

The woman shook her head, "I definitely sense that this competition will be one to keep us all on our toes."

A few minutes later, the swimmers emptied out from the locker room, each of them lining up one by one next to their respective swim blocks.

"And here are the swimmers now!" the male host excitedly announced, "There's Park Jisung, the shining prodigy."

Next to his swimming block, Park Jisung waved to the crowd as he adjusted the edges of his swim cap.

Next to him stood Kang Taehyun, who only stared straight ahead with a blank look on his face. Slowly, he removed his earphones, setting both them and his jacket on the chair behind him. With a quiet sigh, Taehyun walked towards the swim block, moving to stand on it as his competitors did the same.

"Wow, amazing. Look at the air of mystery around him. Taehyun surely looks to be a formidable opponent!"

Pulling down his goggles over his eyes, Taehyun continued to stare ahead of himself.

"Ready!" The referee shouted, causing the swimmers to get into their starting positions. 

He blew out a breath, his fingers turning white due to his harsh grip on the edge of the block.

After three agonizingly long seconds, the referee blew the whistle, prompting the swimmers to take their dive.