Chapter 6: A Sickness, Living With Aunt March, and Amy's Will

A month had gone by. Laurie had checked on us on the weekends he was back from college and Mr. Laurence checked on us almost daily. Beth had gone to the Hummels' to see how they were keeping up during this winter. She had come back and sat at her piano, but she didn't play, which I found odd. Jo was talking about something. I think she was talking about selling her short story.

"I'm an author...Abby? Beth," Jo asked.
"Jo, something is wrong with Beth," I answered.

"The Hummel baby is sick. I feel so strange," Beth said.

"We have to get Beth upstairs and in a bed now," Jo said.
"Alright," I said.

Soon, Meg and Amy were home. We were all upstairs taking care of Beth with Hannah's help.

"She's hot, but she feels cold. She's thirsty, but won't drink. Arsenic? Belladonna," Jo asked.

"I saw the Hummels'," Beth said.

"Two children are dead from scarlet fever. Miss Meg, you and Miss Jo have had it. But, Miss Abby and Miss Amy...We must send you away," Hannah said.

Then, Amy and I were told we would have to stay at aunt March's. We began to get some of our things that we might want to have with us at aunt March's.

"I don't want to go to live with Aunt March," Amy said.
"We have to, Amy. It's for the best. Laurie is going to take us to Aunt March's," I said.

Soon, we were in a carriage with Laurie on the way to Aunt March's. Amy was next to Laurie and I was across from the both of them.

"She won't die, will she, Laurie," Amy asked.
"God won't let her die," he replied.

"I don't want to go away," Amy said.
"Neither do I, Amy," I said.

"I'll come every day and visit the both of you, I swear. You won't be alone," Laurie said.
"I'm afraid of Aunt March," Amy said.
"If she's unkind to both of you, I'll take come and take you both away," Laurie said.

"Where will we go," I asked.
"Paris," Laurie asked.
"Oh, Teddy! That would be wonderful," I answered.

"If I die of scarlet fever, give Meg
my box with the green doves on it. Jo can have my turquoise ring," Amy said.
"I'll see to it," Laurie said.

"I don't want to die, Teddy. I know this may sound rather silly, but I've never even been kissed. I've waited my whole life to be kissed. What if I miss it," I asked.
"I'll tell you what...I promise to kiss you before you die," he replied.

A while later, we were at Aunt March's. Laurie made sure we were alright and then left. Weeks had gone by and Laurie was true to his word. He came by and visited us each day. Today, Laurie was visiting like every other day, but something was off with Amy. She had gotten the inspiration to write her will. I was sitting on a sofa with Laurie and Amy was sitting in the chair across from us.

"I have asked the both of you here because I want you, Laurie, to read my will. Abby, I needed you here to be a witness," Amy said.
"Alright," I said as Amy handed Laurie a piece of paper.

"You can begin whenever you are ready, Laurie," Amy said.

"My last will and testament. I, Amy Curtis March, being in my sane mind, do give and bequeath all of my earthly property to all namely. To my father, some of my best pictures, sketches, and maps, and works of art, including frames. Also, my $100 to do what he likes with. To my mother, all my clothes, except the blue apron with pockets, and my medal, with much love. To my dear sister, Margaret, I give my box with the green doves on it and my sketch of as a memorial for her 'little girl'. To Abby I leave my real piece of lace for her neck, my fan, and my blue apron with pockets. To Jo, I leave my turquoise ring, and my breast pin because I am sorry I burnt up her story. To Beth, if she lives after me, I give my dolls, my linen collars, and my new slippers. To my friend and neighbor, Theodore Laurence, I bequeath my portfolio, and my clay model of a horse. To our venerable benefactor, Mr. Laurence, I leave my purple box with the looking glass on the cover, which will be nice for his pens, and remind him of the departed girl who thanks him for his favors to her family, especially Beth. And now having disposed of my most valuable property, I hope all will be satisfied and not blame the dead," Laurie said as he read Amy's paper.

"Amy, who put it in your head to write your will," I asked.

"Did someone tell you about Beth giving away her things," Laurie asked. 
"What about Beth," Amy asked anxiously.
"I'm sorry I spoke. But as I did, I'll tell you. She fell so ill one day that she told Jo that she wanted to give her piano to Meg, her cats to you and Abby, and the poor old doll to Jo, who would love it for her sake. She never thought of a will," Laurie said as he and I signed the will as witnesses.

"Teddy, I'm worried for Beth. Is there really any danger about her," I asked as tears started to fall onto my cheeks.
"I'm afraid there is, but we must hope for the best. So don't cry, dear," he answered as he pulled me into a hug.

That night, I cried myself to sleep thinking about Beth. I always went to her whenever I needed cheering up. Unfortunately, I cannot now. At least I'm lucky to have Amy with me, and I'm lucky to have Laurie visiting every day.