Chapter 7: A Christmas to Remember

A couple of months had gone by. Amy and I were finally back home. We were currently decorating the house to surprise Beth.

"Try each corner," Jo said.
"No! One bow's enough," Meg said.

"I'm so sorry," one of Laurie's friends said while running into me.
"It happens all the time," I said.

"Here she comes," Jo said as we heard footsteps walking down the stairs.

"What shall I do with the bows," Amy asked.

"The house is beautiful," Beth said.

Seeing Beth happy brought a tear to my eyes. All I want is to see my sisters happy.

"Friends of mine from college. Freddy Vaughn, Averill Watson. They won't bite," Laurie said.

"No, don't sit there, sit...," Amy said before Laurie put his hand over her mouth and pulled her toward him.

"Here! Sit here, child. Merry Christmas,"  Mr. Laurence said as a curtain opened to reveal a piano.
"Merry Christmas," Beth said.
"I should have given it to you
long ago. It belonged to my little girl. She left us when she was very young. But now it will make music again," Mr. Laurence said.
"Thank you, Mr. Laurence," Beth
"Merry Christmas," he said.

"Play something, Beth," Jo said as she began to play a Christmas carol.

We sang along to the Christmas carol that Beth played. Then, Meg, Marmee, Jo, and I were in the kitchen preparing desserts.

"I fear you'll have a long engagement. John must get a house first
and do his service," Marmee said to Meg.

"John? Marry? That pokey old Mr. Brooke? How did he sneak into this family," Jo asked.
"He visits Father every day," Meg answered.
"He's dull. Find someone amusing," Jo said.
"He is good, kind and serious. I'm not afraid of being poor," Meg said.

"You can't just let her go
and marry him," Jo said.
"Better to be a poor man's wife than to lose one's self-respect," Marmee said.
"You don't mind that he's poor," Jo asked.
"No. But I'd rather he had a house," Marmee replied.

"Why marry? Why can't things stay as they are," Jo asked.
"It's a proposal, Jo. Nothing need be decided. Be happy for Meg. Let's not spoil the day," I answered as I carried a dessert into the dining room.

Then, Mr. Brooke walked in with Father. Father's back!

"Father? Father," Jo said joyfully as we all went to hug him.

"What a wonderful present," Marmee said as Father sat down in his chair.

"Beth...Thank God you're well," Father said.

"Give him room," Jo said.
"My wild girl! This could become the fashion," Father said.

"I've missed you tremendously, Father," I said.
"My dear, do you still sing," he asked.
"I try to every day," I replied.

"Be very careful. Don't coddle me too much. Hannah...It's good to see you," Father said.
"It's good to have you home," she said.

"Let me look at my girls. Cholera took more men than the rebs. Agriculture isn't taught, and it should be," Father said.

This truly was a wonderful Christmas. Father is home, Meg is engaged to Mr. Brooke, and Beth is doing much better.