chapter ten. house of ra

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            KT's missing. The Touchstone of Ra is missing.

            There was only one conclusion we could draw from what we knew: Sophia had found us somehow, she kidnapped KT, and took the stone with her.

            When we realized that was what had happened, Eddie and I looked at each other and said simultaneously that we need to go back to the house. We didn't even wait to give any of the newbies a chance to say anything before we took off running in the direction of the house.

            "Sophia's taken the touchstone!" Eddie shouts as we run in. Victor and Fabian at the top of the stairs, Mara's coming from the girls' corridor, the chandelier's still a mess on the floor, and Patricia's right by the cellar door.

            "And KT along with it," I add.

            "What?" Victor says. I nod. "You must stop her from building that pyramid."

            "Guys—" Mara says.

            Cassie says, "Before we all turn into statues."

            Fabian, stopping on the stairs, tells her sharply, "Or the world ends. We can't just be thinking of ourselves in this situation—"

            The air in here was tense when we ran in, and apparently our new info only made it worse, because we all have things to say to each other, but we really don't have any time for anyone to say anything, so the entire hall turns into a loud mess of talking over each other, our words blending together.

            Finally, Mara screams, "Quiet!" And everyone shuts up. She offers a paper to Fabian near her. "I think I know where the pyramid stones are."

            Fabian takes the paper, handing it over to Victor. He looks over it, remarking, "The whole house is built on these stones! The cellar."

            The pyramid stones are in the cellar, of course they are! Eddie and I share a glance, simultaneously telling the three newbies behind us to go into the parlor. Victor takes his keys and goes to the cellar door—but we've all seemed to have forgotten about one very important thing. Trudy's still here, and she stops short at the mess in the entrance hall, her words trailing.

            "Trudy," says Victor as she looks over the damage, "everyone must get to the graduation, it's about to start."

            "C—come on, everyone," says Trudy, gesturing toward us.

            Eddie hits my arm, pointing toward Victor and the cellar. I nod, understanding what he means. We have to help find those pyramid stones before Sophia figures out the house was built on them. "Victor, wait!" Eddie exclaims before Victor shuts the cellar door behind him. "Let us help. Okay, we might be useful."