chapter thirteen. house of anubis

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

You know what falling unconscious in the middle of the wood does to your clothes? Pretty much ruins them. So after cleaning ourselves up, Sibuna entered the auditorium in our maroon graduation robes, to much chatter from the other students and guests. The three newbies even sat themselves at the back while Sweet explained to a very confused room that there was a brief emergency but that everything was all right now.

Yeah. Everything's good.

"They say graduation day," Mara, our valedictorian, ends her speech behind the podium, "is the most important day of your life, and now I understand why. It's an ending and a beginning all at once. And my advice to all you alumni is go party, like this is the last day of your lives."

And for some of us, it nearly was. But we're alive now, and with the end of her speech, the auditorium erupts into cheers as we throw our caps in the air. I throw my arms around Jerome in a celebratory kiss before pulling in my Anubis housemates for a giant group hug.

What a way to graduate.

The lounge is decked out for our graduation party, ribbons everywhere and the crest of each house hanging above the stage. The room is filled with teenagers dancing and the music blaring in our ears. Taking my phone from my clutch, I open up the camera app, pointing it at Jerome and Alfie.

"Hey, boys," I say, "smile for the scrapbook."

Alfie looks at his suit. "But we're not wearing ridiculous costumes."

"Oh, it's so cute how you two think this isn't ridiculous for you," I remark teasingly. Jerome and Alfie share an equally exasperated look. "I'm kidding! You both look great. Come on, for the scrapbook." Another look is shared, but then they both smile at my camera. The flash goes off and I grin, looking over the image. "I think that one's my favorite. Aside from all the other ones."

"You're hilarious," Jerome says sarcastically, reaching for my hand. He drags me from the sidelines to the middle of the dance floor. "Mind if I have this dance?"

"Only if I lead."

"Hilarious, truly."

I let out a laugh as Jerome dips me to the floor and just as quick pulls me back up, twirling me around. After what happened today, dancing with my boyfriend is probably the best way to end the night. Well, second best, but my phone is still bare of new texts.

"Anubis!" Eddie exclaims, coming over to us with Patricia at his side. Cassie, Erin, and Dexter poke their heads up, and he adds, "Old Anubis. Sorry, guys."

"What's up, Eddie?" Joy asks, still holding hands with Izzie.

"We just overheard Victor talking to Sweet," Patricia answers, "and he's leaving Anubis House. Permanently."