Chapter 3:

KATNISS

The sound of loud voices and profanity brings me from my subconscious the next morning. The fighting is so old now. Why can't this just end? I clench my fists over my eyes. I just want to go back to bed. There are only good things in my dreams. Reality is the place that drags me down. I know I can't hide in my mind. I want them to stop. To go away or to figure out their differences. But at the same time I want to confront them. The volume of them grows louder over the next few minutes. Prim's cries get into the mix. At her crying, and them ignoring her I get up eventually and decide I'm gonna put an end to all this. They ignore me. They ignore Prim. They hurt everyone around them. Enough is enough. I fling my covers to the side and rise from my bed. I ran into their room where they were fighting. I let out all the built up pain and anger towards my parents.

"Shut up! Just shut up both of you! I'm so sick and tired of all this fighting! Please stop! You don't care about anyone! Not Prim, and not me! We are your children! Start acting like the parents I knew! Please!" My voice goes up an octave and it leaves me shaking and tears glazing my eyes.

They stare at me with the utmost shock on their faces. I never talk. Let alone raise my voice. Dad walks over to me. I see more of his demeanor. It's angry. It's intimidating. I know I have stepped over the line. My heart has had enough. I had to get it out. No matter what happens.

He strikes me across my face. I hold my ground. I stare up at him with the scowl I inherited from him. The tears fall but I don't make a sound. He proceeds to the yelling he and my mother were doing that woke me up this morning. He blames her that I'm so disrespectful.

"Well maybe if you didn't hurt her-" My mom starts saying but is cut off by my father who hits her as well. My mother tries to defend herself for once. She pounds on his chest and tries to get him to see. It makes his anger intensify.

I clench my fists and look at the old wooden floor. My tears land on the top of my feet. I turn fast on my heels and race up the stairs to my room. I can't take this anymore. I can't. How am I supposed to live with this?

My father, who turned abusive after losing his life work and friends. My mother, who raised me yet now ignores me and her newborn child by putting up with my father's behavior with nothing but accepting the abuse inflicted to her family. Then I am left to pick up the pieces at age five. Five! I change from my pajamas and get dressed. I grab my game bag from the hook, before I dash out the door and slam the old wooden door. I ran in the Seam. The old broken road beneath my feet blur with the tears that fall from my eyes. A thought came to me. If my family can't help, maybe someone else can help.

Peeta.. He was nice to me...He can help..maybe... Right?

I ran faster to get to Town Square. I notice people staring. I slow down and try to act normal. As normal as you can be when your home is toxic. I take a fast pace walk instead of my crazed running. I wipe my face on my jacket sleeves. My old father's jacket. I would always wear it. It makes me feel safe. He let me have it. Told me I would grow into it. The sleeves still hide my hands. I have a while to grow into it. It is the last thing I'll ever have of my old family. My happy family. As I approach the bakery, I see the line is extremely long. Mostly filled with the Townies. They are the only ones who can afford the nice things in life. Unlike me. I weave my way through the line. I get comments made my way to leave. To move to the back of the line. To go back to the Seam. I ignore them. I get to the counter. The man behind the counter has his back turned. He turns and sees me peering up at him.

"Oh, I remember you. Are you looking for Peeta, Sweetheart?" He asks.

I nod.

"Sorry, girlie. He has school today. The High School isn't out til the afternoon. I'll tell him you stopped by. I have to get back to work now. So I'll have to ask you to leave until he's back, alright?"