braids//spencer reid

SPENCER

the opened blinds let the sunlight pour into my bedroom, covering my body in a feather light warmth that threatens to make sweat surface on my skin. but the sweat has already surfaced on my skin, but not from the sun. it's from the human furnace right beside me.

my nose tickles and i quickly realize that there's a teeny tiny body curled up under my arms, her hair all over my face and chest. she's still snoozing away, her lips parted and an amount of drool dripping from her mouth that would be considered too much. her beloved stuffed animal, a puppy named waffles, is tucked under her arm and resting on my stomach.

i reach my hand up and bat away one of the brown curls right under my nose, careful to not wake the grumpy little diva beside me. my next task is trying to pry her off of my arm without disturbing her, and she thankfully rolls onto her side and just curls up into a little ball, holding waffles to her chest.

i let out a sigh of relief, tip-toeing out of bed and out of my bedroom. it's just past seven in the morning so i head into the kitchen to make breakfast and coffee for myself. i go through the usual weekend actions of engraving the newspaper from the doormat and throwing laundry in the washer, and, of course, making breakfast.

once i've finished a cup of coffee and produced a dozen pancakes, i head back to my bedroom. she's still dead asleep, drooling onto my pillow instead of my chest now. but regardless, i sit on the edge of the bed and brush her hair behind her ear.

"daisy, it's time to wake up. i made breakfast," daisy tries to weakly push my hand away, bringing waffles up to cover her face, trying to stay asleep for even longer. it makes me laugh as i tug back the blanket from on top of her: "i know you wanna sleep, baby, but if i let you sleep too long then you won't sleep tonight."

"m'sleepy," she whines, wiggling herself forward so her head is on my lap.

"i'm sure you are. but remember, we said that we'd go to the park today, right? and if you sleep and sleep and sleep all day then you won't be able to play." i keep brushing her hair out of her face, pulling her completely into my lap so she's curled up on my chest again.

"but i wanted to try the monkey bars today," daisy pouts up at me, her sleepy eyes half closed.

"well, you still can! but only if you get out of bed and come have breakfast with me."

without giving her another chance to resist or change her mind, i stand, holding her in my arms like the baby i still see her as, and carry her into the kitchen. i've already set out a plate of pancakes for her and a bowl of water that i'm sure she will insist she has for waffles.

i set daisy down on the barstool and press a kiss to the top of her head before rounding to the other side of the table and sitting down. daisy sets waffles right in front of his bowl of water, and once she is content that waffles is content with his water, she picks up her little, red, plastic fork and knife and starts eating her pancakes.

"did you sleep well last night, bub?" daisy scrunches up her nose and shakes her head no, ducking her head as if she's hiding in her breakfast. "no? why not?"

"i had a bad dream," daisy pouts. "and that's why i came to sleep with you! but when i came in, you didn't wake up and i didn't want to wake you up and make you sleepy all day today! so i just snuggled you," she finishes her little monologue with a tiny shrug, shoving a piece of pancake in her mouth.