minimal loss//spencer reid

word count: 7.8k
warnings: guns, gunfire, physical abuse, poison (kinda), all the stuff that happens in minimal loss and u should probably have a good understanding of what happens in this episode because i don't explain every single thing

based off of this concept from tumblr!!!!

"i don't even really understand why we're going to the ranch. there's allegations of sexual assault in a cult. that's not really what we deal with."

spencer just gives me shrug, buttoning his cardigan and straightening his tie in the mirror. "i'm not really sure either but this is just what we were told to do. it beats sitting and doing paperwork all day."

"you love doing paperwork," i call out his bluff, just getting another shrug in response but in the reflection of the mirror, i can see him smirking. "i hate paperwork but i'd rather be doing that than going with some random stranger to investigate a cult."

"baby," spencer turns around and comes to the bed where i'm sitting, placing his hands on my cheeks, "i know you don't wanna go but hotch says we have to. but it's gonna be okay. we'll just go, talk to some people, and then come home. that's all."

i pout up at him and place my hands atop his. "i'd just rather be sitting at a desk all day."

"yeah, i know," spencer leans down and presses his lips to my forehead. he hesitates before he speaks again, and when he does, i find myself wishing that he had decided to keep his mouth shut. "we've had a long last few weeks. i know you're still thinking about that case from two weeks ago-"

"please don't," i move his hands off my cheeks now, sliding past him and walking towards the closet to grab my shoes. the images of spencer bleeding with a black eye come to mind and suddenly, i can't see him without his injuries. even when i turn around to glance at him once more, i see the shadows of bruises and bloody cuts.

i'd been so successful in trying to forget how wrong the case went two weeks ago, and how my tiny bit of exhaustion got spencer injured. i swept over a room and called clear without really paying attention because i was just too tired to look over every crack and crevice (and a closet) in a bedroom. and when spencer went in the room ten minutes later to investigate, the unsub jumped out and got the upper hand on him. spencer wound up to be okay and went home with cuts and bruises, but i felt guilty. i still feel guilty.

he went home and complained about his black eye and was disinfecting bloody cuts for a week. the bruise is gone now and the cuts are healed, but every now and then he starts to bleed and complains his under eye hurts. and it's all my fault. it's because of me. i caused him all that pain.

"i'm sorry, i'm sorry, i shouldn't have brought it up," spencer breathes out as he watches me hastily pull on my shoes.

"yeah, you shouldn't have," i snap, breezing past spencer and grabbing my keys and my bag from beside the front door. my anger is not being sent to the right place and it's completely unfair to spencer. i should be angry at myself and not spencer, but history proves that it's easier to blame emotions on other people than on yourself. "if we don't leave now then we're gonna be late."

"wait, wait," spencer grabs my hand before i can open the door. "i'm sorry, okay? i didn't mean to bring that up. i know you're still upset about it."

"i just don't want think about that when we're gonna go have to do work. being distracted is what got you into that mess two weeks ago and i'd like to avoid that happening again." i don't really mean to sass him. after all, i should be coddling him and giving him endless affection because his injuries were my fault. but i already showered him in love when he was in the hospital and now i just want to forget it happened. i want to forget that i caused the love of my life pain because i was tired.