Book 2: Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - the hopes and fears of all the years,
are met in thee tonight

Never before in his life had H.C. seen as much pomp as the Galactic Councilors entering the Hall of Destiny. Some species walked, others slithered and one or two rolled, but they all moved with measured dignity to their places against the far wall on either side of the Throne of Fate.

As a supposed member of the Revin family, he had been given one of the Créatures d'Honneur spots along the red carpet leading to the throne. Next to him stood Patrick Smythe and Gasha Kovacevic. Across from them were Bubby and Nova Revin and the popular music singer Xhia. Apparently, Pluckie had manipulated Xhia into some sort of friendship, no doubt as a way to gain more power.

A small group of the well wishers were allowed into the Hall to observe. H.C. tried to find Count Duke among them, but he only recognized Vori, Yan, Diego, Cookbot and Kiko Chiru standing next to some stranger in sunglasses and a floppy hat.

His eyes lingered on Vori. The man looked so handsome in his tuxedo, it made H.C.'s heart ache. He was one thousand times dreamier than Drak Revin. Pluckie could have her prince. The bodyguard was the real prize. But H.C. would never be able to win his love, not now. If only Vori understood what Pluckie Smythe was really like, then he'd know there was no possible way anyone could forgive her.

Bob of Bopthopiomiop slithered in front of the Throne of Fate, the Scepter of Kismet rested across four of his tentacles. "Let the Cérémonie de Demande commence."

Faasnos the Prim, who stood to the left of the throne, and Theodophilia Amaneusese, who stood to the right, made trumpet noises with their mouths as the great, carved doors of the Hall of Destiny opened.

Drak led the way, Pluckie not far behind him. He looked regal in his ermine cape. She looked kind of ordinary in her jeans and T-shirt.

"Prince Drak Revin of Earth and Saturn." Bob's voice echoed off the stone walls.

"Bob of Bopthopiomiop," Drak responded. "I come before the Galactic Council of Ruling Families to present for your approval the woman I love, Pluckie Smythe of Earth."

She stepped forward to stand at his side and together they bowed. They had clearly practiced it. Every action, from the bend at the waist to the sweep of the arm, was elegant and graceful.

"What sets her apart from all the others of your species, from all the others of the galaxy?" Bob asked. "What makes her worthy?"

Pluckie raised her chin and spoke in a clear, confident voice that made H.C. hate her that much more, "I make an excellent Christmas Cream Pie."

"Bring it forth so it may be judged."

Cookbot rolled to her side. Pluckie bent down, lifted the lace apron and brought forth the cursed holiday dessert.

She walked down the red carpet in slow even steps, carefully holding the pie in her outstretched hands.

H.C. could do nothing but seethe inside. His nemesis, the woman who had ruined his life for a laugh, was getting everything she ever wanted. There was no justice in the cosmos. There was only harsh cruelty and--

His line of thought came to an abrupt stop. Something was off. There was a wobble in Pluckie's walk.

Squinting his eyes so he could see better, he noticed that her right shoe was slipping off her foot. The look of panic on Nova and Bubby's faces said they also saw it. In another step or two, Pluckie would trip, the pie would fly from her grasp and hit Bob of Bopthopiomiop in the face.