five.

A/N: comment you rats

--

Just past the threshold of the cabin, Camila went right to the thermostat, cranking up the heat as Shawn went to start up the fireplace.

"Sof? Sofia, you here?" Camila called up the stairs. "I guess they're still not back yet."

"They better not get killed or we're gonna have to hear about it." Shawn yawned, tossing a match into the fireplace.

Camila wasn't too worried, especially since Shawn wasn't either. She was actually glad to not have to feel guilty about helping him with his audition.

She took off her coat and boots, sitting cross-legged on the hearth rug for a moment, feeling the small aches in her hips and ankles.

Shawn went upstairs for a moment, Camila feeling sleepy in the fire warmth. Shawn came back down a moment later, having taken off his coat. He was in just a t-shirt and jeans, carrying his guitar.

Camila told herself not to stare at his muscles, instead keeping her eyes on the fire, reaching up to brush her hair back over her shoulders and feeling it tangled where it came loose from her braid. She wondered if she looked like a mess right now.

"Okay, so," Shawn sat across from her, slipping the guitar strap over his head. "That Chuck guy seemed pretty impressed when I told him about my sound."

"What exactly is your sound?" Camila asked softly, trying to pretend she hadn't heard a snippet through the wall last night.

"It's sort of acoustic pop...if that even makes sense?" He blushed, Camila noting how warm his face looked in the firelight.

"I like it already." Camila said, smiling.

"Okay, well, I'm just gonna play something and you tell me if it sucks or not."

"Okay." Camila's heart began to pound. "Should I close my eyes or something?"

"No, it's fine."

Camila once again found a fondness for his confidence. Even she sometimes made Nick close his eyes before she read some huge emotional scene just inches from his face, but now Shawn didn't seem bothered at all that she was watching him.

He put his hands on the strings and Camila watched his fingers rather than his face. It wasn't the best idea, as she was suddenly thinking only of how beautiful his hands were. Was it weird to call hands beautiful? Maybe so, but it was very fitting.

"...We're going through motions,

cause we can't fix what's broken, no.

And I know it's gonna hurt,

But darling I'll go first..."

Camila closed her eyes when he sang, despite him telling her she didn't have to. It was actually just easier for her, because holy shit, she couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful he looked and sounded, and it was just easier to focus on one of two at a time.

"...We don't have to keep on saying those three empty words

No, I can't keep on saying those three empty words..."

She opened her eyes, feeling her face flushed deep pink. She'd never had anyone sing a song for her, and though she knew that wasn't really what this was, it still had that level of intimacy.

Shawn was looking at her, raising his eyebrows and it took Camila a second to register that look, that same expectant face she gave Nick after spilling her guts out from a script. He wanted her feedback.