X. DID YOU MISS ME?

everybody wants to rule the world by lorde

"Nothing ever lasts forever.
Everybody wants to rule the world.
There's a room where the
light won't find you.
Holding hands while the
walls come tumbling down."

          I stood in the lab, wearing a long, black corset jacket over a black shirt and dark jeans, with thick heeled black boots. My hair was tied into a single braid that rested on my shoulder. Midgardian clothing was definitely more different than Asgard's.

All the scientists continuously studied the Tesseract. So far, everything has gone according to plan. I've been on Earth for a few weeks now, staying at the S.H.I.E.L.D base. Phil Coulson has been nothing but the most helpful, teaching me of the Midgardians' customs.

I suddenly felt an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I kept hearing a low and raspy voice that echoed in my head.

"The Tesseract has awakened. It is on a little world, a human world. They would wield its power, but our ally knows its workings as they never will."

I slowly walked towards the Tesseract, staring at the bright, blue light that it shined. The voice kept ringing in my brain. Where was it coming from?

"He is ready to lead and our force, our Chitauri, will follow. A world will be his. The universe, yours. And the humans, what can they do but burn?"

My hand quickly came to my heart as my eyes widened, and I let out a gasp. Someone was coming to destroy Earth. But who? I turned away from the Tesseract and rushed towards the scientists.

"Shut it down." I ordered.

"But why? The readings show no changes coming from the Tesseract." One of the scientist gestured to the computer screen.

"The Tesseract is a risk to everyone here. Someone is-"

"We have a sudden energy surge from the Tesseract." Another scientist called out, interrupting me. All the scientist started chaotically rushing throughout the lab.

"We need Selvig in here now!" I ordered.

• • •

          Four hours had passed and the Tesseract has still remained at its peak of energy. Evacuation was ordered when Erik couldn't shut it down. What did we expect? The Tesseract is built of unlimited energy.

          I stood on the platform in front of the Tesseract with Erik and a scientist. I continued to observe the Tesseract, trying to figure what the voice meant. Who would try to take over Midgard?