(a) what does leaving mean? (1)

you sat alone on the sofa.

waiting.

you hadn't received a text from spencer yet, but since he insisted you both have location sharing on your phones, you knew he was in DC.

the case had been long, which meant it was probably draining, and he was probably tired.

you ran your hand across your face with a large yawn and just tried to think.

very suddenly you felt small kicks from the inside of your stomach and you rubbed the spot gently. you always tried to keep your stress to a minimum while pregnant, knowing that the baby could definitely feel what you feel, but you couldn't help it.

the keys jangled outside of the door as spencer let himself in and you heard him sigh loudly.

he hadn't noticed you yet.

he walked into the kitchen after dropping his bag at the doorway.

you didn't have the energy to tell him to hang it up tonight.

you heard him open and shut the fridge in the kitchen, possibly looking for something, possibly just looking to be curious about what his wife and daughter had been eating while he'd been gone.

you heaved yourself off the sofa and walked into the kitchen as softly as you could and saw him brewing a pot of coffee.

"coffee?" you asked.

he looked up as you walked towards him and his eyes immediately softened while he held his arms out to you.

you gave him a hug best as you could with your belly and looked up at him.

"watcha making coffee for?" you inquired again, "it's late."

he pointed to a stack on the dining room table of what you assumed were case files.

"god, spence, why not just come to bed and worry about this in the morning?" you pleaded.

"i can't, y/n, we've talked about this," he replied, stubbornly. sometimes his best and worst quality.

"talked about letting your wife sleep alone for weeks at a time?"

he scoffed, taking the coffee and pouring it into one of his ungodly large cups.

"maybe if you started taking sebaticals to teach again? you could be home more.." you wandered, which made him stomp over to the dining room table and sit down without another word.

you followed him, slower, since your pregnant body couldn't go as fast as his long, skinny legs.

"spence, i'm sure emily would approve of them," you sat in the chair closest to him.

"no! god, we've been over this, the team needs me," he snapped and you gulped.

"the team?" you remarked.

he looked up at you and you saw a small spark of anger in his eyes, something you rarely saw, and something rarely, if ever, pointed at you.

"yes, the team."

he was being sarcastic. mocking you.

you knew he would react this way when you brought it up so you'd put it off for weeks until you couldn't stand it anymore.

"the team that got you thrown in jail? away from your wife? away from your daughter?"

his hands sounded louder than they probably were, mainly because the house was so quiet before he slammed his hands on the dining room table.

you shook your head and looked away from him.

"y/n, this is my life," he spoke sternly.

"no, spencer, it's not. this is your job," you gestured to the piles of paperwork.

and as if right on cue crying was heard from a small voice upstairs.

"this is your job," you repeated, "your life is right here. decide whether you want it or not."

as quickly as you could stood up and half expected him to grab your hand or follow you up to your daughters bedroom but he didn't. he didn't follow even though he could hear your cries as you climbed to the top of the staircase.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

emma quickly stopped crying when you entered her room, but noticed that your cheeks were wet just like hers when you sat down on her bed.

"mama, why sad," she muttered in her toddler voice, trying to sneak out of the covers to lay her head on your shoulder and try to wrap her arms around you.

"mama's sad because you are, sweet girl," you wiped away the wet tears from her cheeks while she tried to mimic the action for you which made your heart melt.

"emma no more sad," the small girl gave you a toothy grin which made you return a small smile.

you helped her back under the covers and placed a kiss on her head.

"sweet dreams, baby," you said and when you stood up she quietly muttered something.

"what is it, ems?" you asked.

"daddy home?" she asked and your heart broke. she looked so small and hidden under her blankets as she pulled them close to her face.

never wanting to lie to your daughter you said, "yeah, daddy's home, he's just working late," you said and she nodded sadly, unfortunately having to understand what that meant.

"i love you, baby," you said before closing her door completely not convinced you could keep it together much longer.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

spencer could feel the keys jangling in his hand as he unlocked the door, finally unlocking it, punching a code into the security system and locking the door again.

he dropped his bag on the ground next to the door, something that he knew bothered you, but he told himself he would fix it the next morning.

it was late.

he walked up the stairs in a rush, taking off his coat and tie in the process and stopping at his daughters room, quietly opening the door to peek inside and fully opening it when he noticed that she wasn't in her bed.

his mind went to the next option that she could possibly be asleep in his bed with you but when he entered the room the shared bed was neatly made.

your suitcase was gone.

your phone, wallet and keys were gone.

emma was gone.

and you were gone.

he decided.

thanks for reading loves! follow me on tumblr @spncersreid <3 clementine