10. Truth or Dare

They heard Rich's voice as the three of them entered the main gate. "Thank God you guys are back! I've been waiting here forever. Where have you guys been? My nap just gave me a headache, I guess."

"I just read by the beach. Where have you two been? Mara looked at Josh and Jang.

"Josh loves fishing, and we went around asking how we can go fishing here," said Jang.

Josh excitedly shared what they learned from talking to the guys in the fishing boats.
"The guys in the dock were nice, and if we get the chance, they will bring us with them."

Mara felt excited for Josh. "That is cool! You can go with them since you are already here. So you can feel the difference."

Josh's face lighted up as she stared at Mara. "You think so, too? That is what I'm telling Jang! For experience. But Jang doesn't want to join me." Josh sounded disappointed.

Rich gave a funny comment. "Not my cup of tea, Josh! I'm a mermaid, but I can't stay under the sun for too long!"

Seeing the disappointment on Josh's face, Mara volunteered. "I can join you since I haven't gone fishing. So I will be glad to come! Anytime!"

Rich started brushing Mara's hair with a fork. "Okay, Princess Ariel! Go with Josh. But for now, let us prepare for dinner because Ursula is growling inside my stomach!"

They all laughed. Mara and Rich prepared the table while Josh and Jang readied the drinks. The four enjoyed a dinner of seafood, vegetables, and fruits. After dinner, they all sat around the fireplace. Rich brought out something.

"I have brought Jenga for us to play with. I usually do naked Jenga, which I am an expert on, but we will make tonight a wholesome one. We don't want to be overwhelmed with you macho guys around! Besides, Mara is old-fashioned!" Rich said excitedly.

Mara crackled. "Hahaha! You bet!"

Rich explained the game rules. "We will make it truth or dare, Jenga. It will also be one way for us to know each other more. Agree?"

And all shouted yes to the truth or dare Jenga game.

***

"What an interesting start! Jang and my expert level seem to match up. As expected, my girlfriend here is so out of the Jenga world!" Rich was clapping his hands since he and Jang were leading the game.

"Mara, truth or dare?" Jang asked.

"I'm honest, so that I will go for the truth. But who is going to ask the question?" Answered Mara.

Rich wanted Mara to loosen up. "Well, since we are just four here, all the three will ask one question each. Just for fun, girlfriend!"

Mara was trying to object. "Is that fair? Okay, even if I disagree."

But Rich wouldn't take no for an answer. "Let me be the first girlfriend! Since you came here 3yrs ago, when did you realize that you already moved on?"

"Seriously, Rich?" Mara exclaimed.

"Yes, I'm serious, like emergency room serious!" shouted Rich.

Mara, not wanting to spoil the moment, started talking. "Last New Year's Eve. I was alone in my apartment. Ever since I came here every New Year's eve, I always cry myself to sleep. You know why. But it was the first time that I didn't feel like crying. I got through the countdown with no tears at all. It even surprised me because when I sat and watched the countdown on tv, I didn't feel as sad and angry as before, even after the clock struck midnight. I remembered it, but I didn't cry at all."