1. An unexpected death

It was a beautiful day.

A perfect one.

It almost made me think about what could go wrong. But little did I know my life was going to get turned upside down.

I looked around my picture-like surroundings, not one petal of a flower out place. The sun's rays held the perfect amount of warmth, not one cloud was seen in the endless blue sky. The cars that drove past me created the perfect cool breeze.

My eyes wandered over to the huge billboards that played familiar advertisements countless times. Strangely, this time, one of them was showing news about some genius, young billionaire, or something. I quickly averted my eyes, news in all, is boring.

I resumed walking along the familiar path that led me home every day after school.

Home.
The place where one lives permanently as a part of a family.
If this is how a home is defined as the place I'm going isn't one I guess...

As I walked over to the zebra crossing I saw two things, a group of boys snickering and a girl standing on the edge of the foot-path. The situation was clear as day, those boys were bulling the girl by trying to scare her with the threat of pushing her into the road where a truck was driving at a speed that should be illegal. Ah.. that poor girl, how did she offend them?

Bullying.
One of the things I hate the most.

Suddenly, a boy pushed her a little too hard and she fell on the road with the truck rushing at her

Even so, I just stood in place. I was no female protagonist to save her, and I know nothing good ever came out of being the upstander or jumping in front of a truck that seemed to have no breaks.

The truck was nearing her by the millisecond...

Suddenly an invisible force made me run towards the girl and push her down to the ground and in that microsecond, I got hit instead.

"Ah....owch" I murmured, not having the strength to barely speak. Being hit by a 5000kg truck really hurt, I could feel my ribs crack with a sickening crunch. But as my head made an impact with the hard tar, I felt blood pooling around my body as started losing consciousness.

'Ah.. that stupid girl couldn't even dodge...' was my last thought before I blacked out

.

.

"I- I'm sorry. She injured her heart when she was hit... she won't... make it past few months" said the doctor as I slowly regained consciousness. Strangely, when I heard those words, I didn't feel anything...nothing at all...

Aren't you supposed to feel sad when you hear that you're going to die soon?

All I feel is... emptiness

No sadness, no relief...

Just... emptiness

But as my vision cleared, I saw a girl sitting next to me. She had pure, blonde hair and crystal-clear blue eyes, calling her 'pretty' would not be enough to describe her beauty, all of her features were perfect, without a single mistake; doe-shaped eyes, full lips, milky skin. Strangely, she was smiling brightly even though part of her forehead was bandaged up, at the sight of me waking up.

Ah... she must be the girl I saved.