XVIII

Out of everyone on the miserable row boat, Avelyn was the only one who seemed somewhat eager to sail to the islands.

Edmund sat with a frown on his face, similar to a child who's mum had just disagreed to buy him cookies. He muttered profanities under her breath from time to time, which was annoying Lucy, as he helped Benjamin row the boat.

Avelyn could hear Reep's voice all the way down. Although she couldn't pick on the whole conversation, she heard certain words like dragon, fire, brave, Avelyn, sword, winged idiot and Aslan.

Avelyn sighed out of anticipation. She looked at the waters being pushed back my the oars, ripples forming and then disappearing. She dipped her finger in at first and then her whole had, playing with the cool waters to pass time.

"Careful Aves" Ed chuckled "a sea serpent might just bite that pretty hand off"

"I have never heard anyone call someone's hand pretty" Avelyn spoke, without turning to face him. She pulled back her hand and wiped it on her trousers "you're weird. Besides, there's no such thing as sea serpents"

"Why'd you pull your hand out?" Ed asked smugly to which Avelyn just rolled her eyes at him.

The young king smiled at his sister while mumbling a 'she knows I'm right'. Lucy just chuckled in response, Benjamin joining in which Edmund did not appreciate.

"Do you really think there's another sword?" Lucy asked Avelyn "because if one sword is here where's the-"

"I don't think there's another sword" Avelyn shrugged, flipping through the pages of the book she brought with her "Coriakin would've told-"

"Why did u bring your books here?" Ed asked "you're turning into Susan!"

"And that's a bad thing?"

"YES!"

"oh hush Ed" Avelyn waved him off "if I was a boy her age, I fall for her"

"Fall for her trap" Ed rolled his eyes "she likes to show she's a perfect pretty princess but she's just a perfect petty parrot"

"Shut up Ed" Lucy tried to hold back her giggles.

Ed cast a quick glance at that Benjamin guy to make sure he wasn't laughing. Regardless of the fact that he did just make a joke, it was about his sister and only Avelyn and Lu were allowed to laugh since they were his family.

He already knew Eustace would say he was acting like a child if he was here

...and could read thoughts.

But then again, he'd just whack the young lad on the back of the head and make him shut up.

And would probably get scolded by Lucy or Avelyn.

An hour later, both boys were slightly frustrated at this point. Their arms were getting sore but neither one of them wanted to take a break, even though the girls agreed to switch places.

"You tired big guy?" Ed asked Benji, slightly out of breath.

"N-no" Benjamin responded with a grunt, making it obvious he was tired "I can do this all day"

"That's good. 'Cause that's what we are going to be doing anyway" Edmund faked a laugh, making it sound like he was enjoying this "heck, I'd even row the dawn treador till the islands if I had to"

"That's a bit much don't you think?" Avelyn mumbled to Lucy as she rolled her eyes.

"Boys" Lucy said plainly as she shook her head, a smile creeping to her face.

Avelyn heard the distant flapping of the dragon's wings. Reep had gone quiet and if she didn't know the mouse, she'd say he'd gone to sleep.

But she did know the small creature quiet well.

Reep was the one who was most excited out of everyone. He wouldn't sleep for days on end when he got excited. What's one afternoon nap going to do that that tiny fuzz ball of energy?

Avelyn almost dipped her hand in the water again but then pulled back remembering Ed's comment on the sea serpent.

The boat began to move slower and slower and both girls had it at this point.

The got up and shoved both boys to the front and began to row the boat themselves.

"You girls are being silly" Benjamin panted, sweat dripping down the sides of his face "tell them"

"Y-yea" Ed wiped the sweat off his forehead. He pushed back his hair and undid the first two buttons of his shirt, something that made Avelyn bite her lip and look away "Ben and I were doing fine"

"Of course" Avelyn agreed, sarcasm lacing her words.

The rest of the boat ride was silent.

Both boys fell asleep and the girls let them have their little nap.

After about an hour and a half, they made it to the shore of the lone islands.

Hey! Renée here!

Sorry I took so long. I didn't think the books would blow up so much (ugh I love you guys so much) I haven't really been doing do great lately. My anxiety is getting worse and I wasn't really in the mood to write.

But few sad songs and a couple of corpse husband videos later i am back with another chapter...

Whoohoo!

Also, anyone who listen's to corpse's music? White tee is my favourite uhshshwhsj

Stay safe, wear a mask! I love youuu❤