XXV

Listen to any of these songs as you're reading it, makes it better.

1. Already gone- sleeping at last

2. Hold on- Chord over street

3. Dancing with your ghost- Sasha Sloan

The flames rose higher for the last time before they vanished into black smoke that stood out against the green fog that slowly started to shift and swirl.

The familiar sound of wings flapping could be heard from a distance before they grew louder until Eustace himself flew down from the fog, Reep holding onto him.

The dragon halted near Lucy, unaware of what happened. Reep hopped off him, also oblivious about whatever took place.

"Nothing happened!" The mouse said as he walked up to Ed "we kept the sword at the table as we were told but- what's wrong?"

He looked behind him to see Lucy biting her lip, holding back the urge to cry while Edmund was on his knees close to the stone table, trembling.

Eustace slowly walked past Benjamin, eyeing the dark haired boy next to him with confusion. He made his was past Reep and Edmund, all the way till the table and froze when he saw what had got everyone else in the state they were currently in.

Avelyn was lying motionless in a pool of blood. Her back was facing the rest and her shirt was stained red.

The dragon cautiously walked onto the table and nudged the girl's limp, lifeless body hoping she was just injured, that she'd wake up.

He tried again, gently nudging her with his head.

Lucy quickly reached for her healing cordial.

"Forget it" Edmund spoke lowly as he heard the bottle cap being unscrewed "she- she's gone"

Lucy placed her hand over her mouth and broke down while Eustace looked away, letting the tears stream down.

Reep quietly walked up to Avelyn and brushed her hair out of her face. The mouse stared at her a bit longer, hoping she'd wake up, hoping this was a bad dream. He saw something gleaming by her foot and slowly walked toward it.

Sighing in despair, he dragged the last sword from under her leg.

Edmund stayed on his knees, frozen. Unable to process what just happened. His fist loosened it's grip around the sword he was holding, his eyes never left the spot where Avelyn lay lifeless. He felt so empty, broken, angry. All these emotions overwhelmed him, yet he couldn't pick one to describe what he was feeling exactly.

This pain, it was like nothing he'd ever felt before.

He watched the girl he loved slip away right before his eyes while all he did was watch it happen. He shut his eyes, begging that when he opened them they'd be back at kirk's mansion or at school.

Anywhere but where they were right now.

And then Edmund screamed loudly, letting out everything he was feeling deep down.

The last memory they had, was of him yelling at her. One of the very first memories he had was also, him yelling at her.

"No" he mumbled, refusing to believe she was gone. His hands flew up to his head, pulling at his brown locks as he screamed, tears finally falling down.

"I'm sorry" Benjamin softy mumbled.

Edmund stood up, grabbing his sword and stomped his way toward the brothers. He pushed Benjamin aside roughly before grabbing Collin by his shirt.

"This was all your fault" he yelled "she's gone and it- its"

"No" Collin stated simply "I was willing to do it myself. She didn't have to-"

Edmund threw the boy to the ground, raising his other hand to let his sword plunge into the boy.

"Stop" Lucy grabbed his arm. He didn't even know when she'd jogged upto him "Avelyn she- she wouldn't want this"

"We don't know what she'd want" Ed snapped, his voice cracking "because she's dead Lucy! She's dead! She's fucking dead"

He broke into tears again.

"Take the sword" he said plainly, not making eye contact with anyone "Eustace, let's get this done with"

He dropped his own sword down on the ground and turned away from Collin, who couldn't move.

Benjamin looked into the distance, feeling torn. He'd just got his brother back but also lost a friend. Seeing Lucy and Edmund in such a broken state made his heart clench with sadness.

The black smoke along with the fog started to disappear, though no one except Collin noticed it.

He quietly stood up and walked to the stone table.

Lucy watched him, her hand reaching for her dagger. This was all too familiar.

The night Aslan died on the stone table and now Avelyn, both times all she did was watch helplessly.

Collin slowly looked behind him to glance at Edmund, who had his back facing him.

He cautiously went upto the girl all nd crouched down besides her. He looked at her in confusion.

"Why'd you do it?" He whispered softly "you'd give up your life for Aslan and let someone like me live?"

He wasn't sure why'd she'd do something like this, how could she care about a Kingdom so much that she'd let someone who tried to hurt her, kill her, someone she brought back from the dead just to sacrifice, someone who she hated, someone who didn't deserve to live, roam free?

He gingerly extended his hand to check if he could find a pulse.

"Don't touch her"

The boy looked behind him to see Edmund staring at him. Knowing that it was a lost cause anyway, he hung his head and walked away from the girl and toward Edmund.

"Why" he asked simply "why'd she let me live?"

To be honest, Edmund had no idea what was going on in Avelyn's mind in that moment. Why did she do it? Was she afraid he'd manage to kill Aslan? Did she do it out of sympathy?

All these questions that'd be left unanswered.

He looked at Collin dead in the eyes

"That's Avelyn for you"

The Green mist started to slowly disappear, the fog cleared out and the sun started to creep it's way through the clouds and toward the island.

Lucy sat at the edge of the table and looked at her best friend, someone who was like a sister now dead.

Wiping away a tear she looked at the boys.

"We need to head back" she sniffed "she needs a proper burial"

Didn't check this before publishing it so, lemme know if there are any errors.

Shits just getting sadder, ain't it?

:')💔