Monstre

„We have been so concerned with the families that we have missed the most obvious connection." Hyungwon loudly exclaimed when he joined Shownu and Wonho, who were standing in front of a board with all details of the first and second murder an abduction attached to it. Both turned to look at him, waiting for him to continue. „Genetics."

„But both of the families are not related." Wonho stated. They had already checked this when trying to find a connection between the two families.

„You've no idea how right you are, Wonho-hyung." Wonho raised an eyebrow, not getting what Hyungwon was implying. „Let's take Kang Chaeyeon's family. Both of the parents had normal brown eyes, so does Kang Chaeyeon, but her left eye also has a tint of grey in them. It's a result of a condition called heterochromia. Heterochromia is genetic. But both her parents don't have this genetic defect."

Shownu and Wonho stayed quiet as they listened to Hyungwon's words. This was a completely new string of thoughts and it seemed like Hyungwon had actually discovered something that could help them taking a huge step forwards.

„So I kept digging, and the family of Lee Hyewon tells a similar story. In that case, the blood type of Lee Hyewon doesn't matches with neither parent."

„That's impossible. The blood types have to match, despite when-" Shownu stopped mid-sentence as he realized the meaning behind Hyungwon's words. „Despite when they're not related."

"From this we can conclude that both girls were adopted." Hyungwon finished concluding the information of his discovery.

„Did Changkyun miss that?"

„It was never an option. And the parents probably didn't want their daughters to be stigmatized."

„But the unsub knew about this somehow." Wonho stated as his brain started to work with the new information. „That's the obsessive-compulsive disorder that drives him." He turned to look at the board before turning back to face Shownu and Hyungwon again. „He saves adopted eight year old girls."

„I think it's time to announce the profile." Shownu walked away leaving Wonho and Hyungwon alone. Wonho reached out and grabbed Hyungwon's hand, not caring about the fact that they were in the middle of the police station. He really had worried for nothing. Hyungwon was doing great. No, he was doing amazing.

„Well done." he said, smiling at the tall brunette. Hyungwon flashed him a smile as well, but Wonho noticed the little insecurity shimmering in the other's eyes.

„I hope it helps finding this bastard a little faster." Wonho could feel the grip on his hand tighten a little. After his time in juvenile prison, Wonho had a hard time opening up to people, trying his best to not letting them get close to him. Holding Hyungwon's hand however made that past of himself suddenly feel like as if it belonged to someone else.

„It definitely will. This is a huge discovery and it brings us closer to him and his motivations." Wonho confirmed.

„I never imagined that my first case would be child abduction." Hyungwon sighed. Wonho could see the thoughts running wild behind Hyungwon's brown eyes. He could only imagine how the information highways in Hyungwon's brain were currently stuffed by statistics about child abduction and behavioral disorders in relation with child abduction orientated crimes.

"Ernest Hemingway once said: When you have a child, the world has a hostage." Hyungwon quoted. Wonho had heard of this novelist before, but never read any of his works. "I never thought about how true those words are."

"Yeah. Cases with children are always hard." Wonho agreed. "I mean the crimes we have to face are never pretty, but whenever children are involved they just hit you differently."