괴물 (Gwimul)

"Changkyun found something. The married couple Kim Hyojong and Kwon Eunbi. They were shot dead in their car two and a half weeks ago in Mapo-gu." Jooheon explained, pointing at a picture taken at the crime scene by the local police, showing the dead couple in their car.

"The pattern doesn't fit. How do we know it belongs to our case?" Wonho asked. He took a large sip of his lukewarm coffee, before putting the cup away.

"Because there is a photo of her adopted daughter on social media." Jooheon lifted a photo of little girl into the air. She was young, not older than ten. She wore a red dress; the same one Kang Chaeyeon had been wearing when she had been dropped off at the café.

"It's the same dress." Jooheon repeated Wonho's thoughts. He pinned her picture next to the one of her dead parents. "Her name is Kim Yoohyun. Park Chaeyeon and Lee Hyewon must have been substitutes for her."

"What happened to her?" Shownu asked. If she really was the daughter of their wanted man, then something must have happened to her what had triggered the man's behavior.

"She died last year. She had a congenital heart defect." Jooheon explained. „She collapsed at home. Nobody could have predicted that."

"But our unsub doesn't see it. He would still blame the parents for it." the other two nodded agreeing with Wonho's words. „We need her biological father."

"Changkyun is currently looking for him, but there is nothing about him in the adoption files." Jooheon turned away from the pictures on the boards and turned to look at his teammates.

„There must be a reason. Who brokered the adoption?" Wonho asked. Jooheon reached for a stack of files Changkyun had sent to him to check the information.

„Eh... The Sunshine Adoption Center. The operator, Choi Jinsung, is on his way to the police station already."

-

Some people will never know the sadness of watching the trees and houses pass in front of the car window as you drive into an unknown future. If there was any future.

They will never know the burning glazes thrown at the backseat through the rearview mirror hurting like gunshots. Triggering the fear of a child not being able to grow up. They won't know the feeling of people look at you without seeing you, because they simply don't care enough for your meaningless life.

They won't know the sounds of the gunshots.

-

"Kim Hyojong and Kwon Eunbi?" Choi Jinsung asked, holding a picture of the happy family in his hands after Hyungwon and Jooheon had taken him into a meeting room to talk to him more privately.

"They've been shot two weeks ago in their car. Do you remember them, Mr. Choi?"

"Yes, of course." The man rubbed his hands over his thighs. "I gave them their daughter Yoohyun." He then faulted his hands. It was obvious that he was nervous and dismayed. "And I attended her funeral. There is a video about her life. The website still exists so nobody will forget her."

"Who are her biological parents?" Jooheon carefully asked. "The father is a suspect in a series of murders."

"Yoohyun's mother has left her daughter in a hospital. She told us that the father was dead and that she wanted us to keep everything confidential." The head of the adoption center said. Hyungwon and Jooheon exchanged a look.

"You should go and ask the hospital." Choi Jinsung exclaimed nervously. Jooheon nodded and took his cellphone.

"Ok, I will." Jooheon rose from his chair and left the room to make the phone call.