𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧: into the lion's den

WHAT A FEELING
07: INTO THE LION'S DEN

WHAT A FEELING07: INTO THE LION'S DEN

        FALLING LEAVES fluttered down from tall trees, bidding the scorching heat of the summer farewell and welcoming the cool autumnal breezes

        FALLING LEAVES fluttered down from tall trees, bidding the scorching heat of the summer farewell and welcoming the cool autumnal breezes. They were a feast of colors, a myriad of golds, reds, and browns, gracefully dancing their way down to coat the ground with an ever-changing mosaic. A view as entrancing as ephemeral destined to meet its violent end when heavy boots stepped on it, shattering it into a million little pieces.

        The newly chilled air seemed to move everything slightly in an almost visible way, like a gentle hand caressing the clouds and choreographing the multicolored rain to fall breathtakingly. It also tousled Nova's hair every time she stepped outside, bringing with it the sweet smell of rain and completing the picturesque transition into fall.

        As days waned, each nightfall came sooner than the one before, casting an impenetrable black blanket over the city. The encroaching darkness covered the blend of warm colors slowly, a shift done so beautifully that one could easily forget about how the air thickened as the temperature dropped.

        Used to living in warm places, Nova was too distracted by the new season's peaceful ambiance to combat it. By Charlie's request, she had swapped the tank tops under her leather jackets for long-sleeved T-shirts, doing the bare minimum to prevent catching a cold.

        But that extra layer hugging her body hadn't been able to stop the freezing gale of wind in the shape of a woman from chilling her to the bone.

        Erin Strauss had a bad reputation that preceded her, a concept Nova had learned quickly on her first day in the BAU when she caught Garcia wishing out loud that she didn't turn out being like the older woman. Of course, at that time, the brunette had to take her word for it. But now, after a series of terrible decisions with equally disastrous outcomes on Hotch's part, she had a front-row seat to witness why the team despised her so much.

        Ever since Foyet's attack, the Bureau had been watching the unit chief closely, treating him like a timebomb doomed to explode at any given second. Before joining him on the field, Nova disapproved of the higher-ups' methods, finding the way they breathed down his neck too excessive. But, after that case in Louisville, she began to understand their point of view.