Chapter 8: First Day on Jabberwock Island

Everyone was heavily shaken up by Monomi's sudden death.
No no no no no no no no no
"Wh-What the fuck!"
"A blub-blub-blub-blub-blub! It's only the first stage...and Monomi's already...dead..."
"I-Is that a demon?! Or perhaps it is something from the future?!"

Monokuma laughed at the chaos.
"Monobeasts are deadly devices of destruction!"
Monsters...We're all going to die...
Despite the situation, nobody made a single move to run away. Maybe that was a good call. Who knew what would happen if you tried to get out.

"Puhuhuhu...That's it! This is what I wanted! This feeling of despair! Giving an example was totally the right call!"
He's sick. Sick. We're in so much trouble...
Monokuma laughed again. Nobody dared move. Everyone was just frozen to their places, you included.
We can't do anything. If we tried, the beasts would kill us. There's nothing we can do but oblige.

"Now then, I believe I made my point. Just so we're clear, you guys can't defy me. If you don't want to end up as fish food, you better not disobey me! Just so you know, I don't feel mercy or sympathy. Cause I'm a bear after all! An excuse like It got high off this tropical atmosphere won't work on me at all!"
Monokuma stopped talking for a second, allowing you to process everything.
We're so powerless. The most we can do is listen obediently.

"Also in addition to the killing school trip, I've updated your E-Handbooks. There, the rules of the killing school trip are written throughly, so you better read them! Ignorance of rules won't be tolerated! Now then, enjoy the remains of your harsh and liberating school trip!"
And just like that, the bear disappeared.
This feels too horrible to be true. It's like a nightmare or some kind of simulation (Oh really (Y/N)-Chan?)

You felt horribly tired. With everything that went on today, you just wanted to collapse in to your bed, safe and sound in your room. But that wasn't possible now. You'd have to make do for your cabin that was gifted to you. You did appreciate that though. It would've been much worse if you didn't have a place to sleep.

Nobody dared speak for a minute, still in shock. You stared at one pale face to another.
...
"Wh-What just happened..?"
Nagito asked, his voice quivering.
"U-Um..."
Teruteru whispered, shaking.

"It'd be fine if we were against a human or even an animal..." Nekomaru started. "What the hell can we do against a monster like that?!"
"It's impossible...Why is something impossible happening..?"
Kazuichi muttered.

"Well it's not really impossible."
Byakuya pushed up his glasses.
Oh please don't start this now...
"The Monobeasts and Monokuma are all robots. Meaning that someone is controlling them."

"Who could be responsible?" Peko asked. "Why were we put in to this unexplainable situation?"
"Hey, who is it?! Who?!"
Mahiru yelled. Needless to say, she didn't get an answer.

Teruteru kept repeating that he didn't believe any of this anyway so it didn't matter.
I don't want to believe it either...But if I don't, there's no way we can come up with a solution. We just have to face facts...However bad they might be.

"Listen, we don't need to be cautious about those machines." Byakuya said "What we really need to be cautious about is...ourselves."
A tense atmosphere had spread through the area. Nobody uttered a word. Everyone was staring at each other. You made eye contact with Fuyuhiko. He stared at you back for a second. You thought you saw a glint of fear there but he soon turned his head.

"Being brought to a tropical island with complete strangers and then being told to kill each other to escape...That creates fear in our minds and the desire to escape that hopeless fear..."
Byakuya stopped and narrowed his eyes.
"Is our worst enemy..."