02

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"YOU'RE late," tutted my manager, as I entered the changing room. My fellow model had already changed and was getting makeup done in the adjoining room.

"I know," I spat. I began to undress and she helped me shimmy into a black, sleeveless, number. It was thigh-high, devoid of any prints.

"What took you so long?" She asked.

"Wardrobe complications," I muttered.

She raised an eyebrow at that, seeing that I had come in all dressed up; my previous outfit almost rivalling my current one. So of course the excuse I gave was bogus. But she knew better than to argue with me. She wasn't blind, she could see my perturbed face.

So, she opted for straightening my dress and brushing my hair with her hands before ushering me into the hair-and-makeup room.

"There she is, the great Ms. Uppity Legs. May I enquire about your tardy arrival?"

The high, annoyingly nasal voice pierced my ears like chalk dragged across a blackboard. I clamped my lips and veered to its source.

"Oh silly me, I forgot. Princess La-Di-Da thinks it's okay to drop in anytime she fancies. Did you know, I asked them to slow down because of you. Or else, we would've continued the shoot without you," sneered my co-model.

She wore a tight black number that reached her knees and ended in ruffles. She tapped her foot daintily, with the grace of an elephant, as her stylist carefully extracted her hair from rollers.

"How many times have I told you that I refuse to work with her?" I groaned, turning to my manager.

"Client's request. You should know better," she said, impassively.

I instantly withdrew any compliments I had paid for her tact.

"C'mon, don't be such a party-pooper. It's your own birthday," snickered my co-worker.

"One more word, Lee Soojin, and I will wring your sorry excuse of a neck," I threatened.

"Aw, don't be so mean to your only friend," she pouted. "Who's going to be your link to other social groups? Your mirror?"

"This friendship is revoked," I huffed, flopping on the seat next to her.

She blew a raspberry at my reflection in the lighted mirror, causing her hairdresser to wrinkle her nose.

"Enough, both of you," cut in Cho Chaeri, the makeup artist for the day. She tucked my hair behind my ears and wiped my face clean of any previous makeup or dust.

Soojin and I were not unknown to the celebrated makeup artist's temper, so we instantly shut up.

*