05

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

THE elderly lady's legs wobbled as she attempted to climb stairs, the slender stick she held providing little to no assistance. She flicked her gaze upwards and sighed at the realization that she had two more floors to climb.

Bracing herself, she raised her stick and was just about to take the next step when she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. She turned behind and gave a wrinkly smile.

"Oh, hello, Jiya dear," she exclaimed.

I returned a smile. "Hello, Mrs. Paeng. May I assist you with anything?"

She shook her head. "Ah, there's no need for that."

"Nonsense, you're having a job climbing these infernal stairs. Here, let me carry you on my back," I said, leaning forward.

"Oh, no, I would hate to impose-"

"Mrs. Paeng."

"Alright then, if you say so," she resigned to her fate.

I smiled in triumph as I heaved the dame on my back and carried her till we reached her doorstep. She insisted on having me over as a treat but I politely refused. After all, I had already had my fill, bland as it may be.

She pressed a tangerine from her shopping into my hands. "I won't take no for an answer, young lady."

I chuckled and accepted the fruit. I skipped downstairs to my own apartment, hoping to gorge on something that might have some taste. Granted, carrying Mrs. Paeng had given me the necessary nutrients, it didn't feel like a meal. It wasn't that the elderly had any exceptional flavour; it had more to do so with the fact that they were an easier prey.

Human food it was going to be.

The greasy smell of fried chicken soon filled my house. It wasn't fresh meat in the slightest, but I couldn't be less bothered. It has more to do with sinking my teeth into something more palpable.

After my encounter with Mingyu, I tried yet another miserable attempt with another co-model. Everything went smoothly until I actually came into close contact with her and things went downhill from there, yet again.

At this rate, I was going to use up the last reserves of my magic simply by conducting mind-wipes. And knowing the reason didn't make it any less disheartening.

So, I called Jihoon for advice during his working hours.

"And to what, do I owe this unceremonious pleasure?" He answered, clearly displeased.

"I am going to assume you don't have an appointment since you answered my call. I had a few ... doubts."

"Doubts?"