06

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

MY entire body felt sore when I dragged myself out of the house. I still blamed Soojin for it; the stupid experiment cost me a lot more than I expected. Granted, the visit to the bar had been a boost in morale, my physical condition could be summed up to that of a rotten pea in a pod. 

After I emerged from the subway, I went straight to a snack bar and ordered myself a cup of coffee and a turkey sandwich. 

I downed the coffee as soon as my order was delivered to my table and called for the check, picking up the sandwich wrapped in a paper satchel. 

As I walked towards the studio, I sank my teeth into the breaded goodness, relishing the strong taste of the fish. While it was pretty useless in the context of completely fixing me, it did provide a sense of content. Better than nothing at all.

My wise-phone dinged, notifying me of a rather snarky message by Soojin, urging me to make good use of my pretty paws and hurry up. I was planning on giving her a piece of my mind for the wonderful tip, so I figured I could spare another; she asked for it.

*

"Hey, Lee Soojin!" I called out, as I sashayed into the hair and makeup room.

Soojin whipped her head behind, her hair still in rollers. She looked quite the sight, which was sheer irony on my part, considering that I was in the odd combination of a bikini top and dress pants. I looked just as much of a clown as she did, albeit, a prettier one. 

"Ye-e-es?" She said, dragging her voice with that annoying, nasal tone that I so despised. 

"Thanks for the brilliant tip, fucker. Not only did I get zero results, I was fagged out for the rest of the day."

"No swearing!" Chaeri said, catching me off-guard as she whacked my head with the back of a hairbrush. 

"Chae, your kid is literally not here. Plus, the staff are used to Jiya's uncouth mouth," Soojin reasoned.

"Yeah, but this is a workplace, not Pied Piper. Etiquette dictates that the use of, ahem, flowery language must be moderated."

"Etiquette also states that friends ought to avoid sharing harmful advice," I glowered. 

"Um, no, it doesn't," Chaeri corrected, but there was a note of query in her voice. 

Clearly, both of us had left her out of the loop. I could predict a "nobody tells me anything", coming up hot and fresh in about two hours' time.

Soojin dismissed Chaeri's questioning look as she addressed me: "Give it some time. Yes, it also left me a soggy crouton for a while. But it did work. Didn't I tell you it took me a week to find Mina after I consumed one?"