Chapter 9- Christmas Party

Before leaving school for the Christmas break, Sabrina borrowed a dress from Mara, as she didn't own anything that would allow her to blend in at a Pure-blood Christmas party.
The dress was black, and simple, but nicer than anything Sabrina owned.
Although she was nervous about going back home, she was even more nervous about meeting Regulus's parents.
Not only had she never met another wizarding family before, but she knew that the Black's had a reputation for being extremely prejudice towards anyone who wasn't a Pure-blood. So Sabrina was terrified that they were going to find out her secret and stop her and Regulus seeing each other.

When Christmas Eve finally arrived, Sabrina began getting herself ready for her first ever party.
As she stared at herself in the cracked mirror, Sabrina realised how unlike herself she looked.
"What's the matter? Haven't you ever seen your reflection before?" Questioned Severus as he looked over the top of his Potions book to stare at her.
The siblings had made duplicates of their texbooks as well as their wands, so that they could continue studying while not at school, without their father knowing.
"Very funny" mumbled Sabrina as she ran her fingers through her hair.

The sound of the door creaking open made Sabrina instantly spin around.
But she relaxed her guard when she realised it was only her mother.
"Where did you get that?" Asked Eileen.
"From a friend at school" answered Sabrina curtly.
"And where are you going dressed like that?"
"To a party"
"A party?"
"Yes, a party. You know, it's a thing that normal people go to".

"But you're only 13" reminded Eileen.
"Don't worry, I won't be drinking" reassured Sabrina.
"Who's party are you going to?"
"A friend of mine's family is hosting a Christmas Eve party. His name is Regulus Black"
"You're friends with the Black family?"
"Yes. Why?"
"I'm just suprised that they would want anything to do with you"
"Well, they don't actually know who I am. They think my surname is Prince"
"If they find out-"
"They're not going to find out".

"How are you getting there?" Quizzed Eileen.
"I'm getting a taxi, since I'm too young to Apparate and our house isn't connected to the floo network. I also can't summon the Knight Bus, because I can't use magic outside of school" replied Sabrina.
"Just be careful when you're there. The people you are going to meet are not like us"
"Don't worry about me, I can take of myself".
Eileen nodded her head and left the room only to return a few minutes later carrying a black box.
"What's in there?" Questioned Sabrina.

Eileen opened the box, revealing a beautiful necklace with a green stone, inside.
"Wow. It's so pretty" admitted Sabrina.
"It's the only family heirloom I have left... I want you to wear it tonight" revealed Eileen.
"Really?" Questioned Sabrina.
"Yes. I'm not going to have another chance to wear it, since I was disowned. So I want you to have it. It might make you look like you fit in more"
"Thank you. I promise I will take good care of it".

Once she was finished getting dressed, Sabrina waited outside for her taxi which would take her to 12 Grimmauld Place.
Regulus had told her that there was a lot of anti-Muggle charms around the house. But she would be able to find it, because he had told her about it.
After paying her driver, Sabrina stepped out into the cold street, and shivered as the winter air hit her.
She hastily made her way towards the house, so that she could get out of the cold.

Sabrina knocked nervously on the door, and sighed in relief when Regulus opened it.
"Reg" smiled Sabrina as she threw her arms around him, hugging him tight.
"Did you miss me?" Asked Regulus.
"Of course I did"
"Good. You look beautiful by the way"
"Thank you"
"You're welcome... Mother has me on door duty, so I have to answer it every time someone knocks"
"Oh. That can't be fun"
"No. But I don't have a choice... Come on, the party is this way".

Sabrina stepped inside the house, and was instantly taken aback by how elegant it was.
There was a chandelier on the ceiling and silver candelabras on the tabled, both of which were shaped like serpents.
Dozens of old portraits hung on the walls, some which were occupied and some that weren't.
As they made their way up one of the staircases, Sabrina grimaced in horror as she saw a line of severed house-elf heads mounted to the wall.

"What on earth" mumbled Sabrina.
Regulus looked over at the heads, "Oh, them. Don't let them frighten you. It was my old Aunt Elladora's idea to behead house-elves when they get too old".
"I see. That's not a normal pure-blood thing is it?" Asked Sabrina.
"No. Just a Black thing" replied Regulus.
"Right. Good".

Regulus pushed open a door on their left and the pair stepped inside a huge room with a high ceiling, where the party was taking place.
There were tables around the edge with food and drinks on, and music was playing, even though only a few people were dancing.
Suddenly a girl came running towards them, "Regulus there you are. Thank Merlin you're back, your mother was trying to make me dance with Amycus Carrow again".
"Sorry Andy, I had to answer the door" apologised Regulus.

"That's alright. Oh, look how rude we're being. My name is Andromeda Black" announced the girl.
"Right yes, Andy this is my girlfriend Sabrina Prince" introduced Regulus.
"Nice to meet you" Sabrina said quietly.
"You too" replied Andromeda.
"Andy is one of my cousins" explained Regulus.
"You'll see my sisters tonight as well, Narcissa and Bellatrix are around here somewhere- Oh no, here comes your mother. I'm going to go" admitted Andromeda, before sneaking away.

"Hello mother. This is Sabrina Prince" Regulus said politely.
"It is nice to finally the meet the girl who spends so much time with my son" admitted Walburga.
"It's wonderful to meet you at last" lied Sabrina.
"Welcome to the ancient and noble house of Black. It's been in my husbands family for generations" revealed Walburga.
"It is certainly a very spectacular place"
"I'm so pleased that you like it. I hope you enjoy your evening here with us"
"I'm sure I will. It was so nice of you to invite me"
"You're welcome dear. I hope to see a lot more of you in the future".

Walburga then disappeared back into the party, leaving Regulus and Sabrina alone.
"So, what do you think of your first party?" Asked Regulus.
"It's a little overwhelming" admitted Sabrina.
"I bet... Would you like to dance?"
"I don't think I'm a very good dancer, but if it will stop us being ambushed by all your family, I say let's do it".
Regulus smiled and took hold of Sabrina's hand, leading her to the dance floor.
Having Regulus's arms around her, almost made Sabrina forget how scared she felt. So she allowed herself to relax a bit and melted into Regulus's arms.