16

Waking up the second time was not so bad. Danny had an idea of where she was now that she woke up here before. But this time, it was different.

The first time, she woke up alone, confused and by herself. Alone.

Oh how that's changed. A slim but defined arm is wrapped around Dan's waist. She has to contain her shock that Spencer would be as bold as to cuddle with her in the same bed. Spencer is in the same bed as her. Cuddling.

Danny seems to be in shut down mode. Who could have known that the robotic, nerdy Doctor would be a cuddler. Danny wonders if he even knows he's doing it. Maybe it was just how he rolled over. His arm accidentally clinging over her body while he slept.

Her breath hitches for a second while Spencer shifts in his sleep. His arm tightening around her waist, chin rested above Danny's head on her pillow. Either Spencer really is an unconscious cuddler when he sleeps, or he is so doing this on purpose.

Danny wonders if he knows he is messing with her emotions. On one hand, he's a caring teacher who always seems to be there for her, on the other, he pushes her away and seems annoyed. Then there is the other interactions that make it seem as if he wants more than a student teacher relationship.

Sure, the friendly chats and glances during lecture could mean he just wanted to be friends. But how do you explain the two times he's bought her something (granted, they were food), and the cuddling and the hugs?

Maybe Danny is readying too much into it. Though, she does admit that the cuddling is nice. Just as Danny's eyes start to flutter shut to bask in the warmth of Spencer's arms, he shoots up in bed. The poor girls heart jumps in her chest from the sudden moment.

"Fuck," the soft curse is muttered and Spencer leaves the room without another word. Danny lays still for a long moment, trying to decide if she wants to feel disappointment or frustration. Mostly with herself, she knew Spencer fell asleep in here on accident.

Danny slowly stands from the bed, noticing a dark green T-shirt hanging over her small frame and no pants. Her face heats up when she realizes that Spencer was so close, body to body, and she mostly had no clothes on.

Danny scrambles around the room trying to see if she left her discarded clothes around the bedroom somewhere, but they don't seem to be in the room. In fact, she reminds herself that she doesn't even remember changing last night. Only that she was at the library, and then driving in a car.

As Danny is imagining all the horrifically embarrassing things she could have done in her state of utter exhaustion last night, she carefully makes her way over to the door. Cringing in her head at how this interaction is going to go.

Danny reaches the door, turns the knob to open the door and trips over thin air. Danny lets out a short squeak as she hits the floor. Her bare knees hit the apartments wooden ground.

Danny hears Spence drop something in the next room somewhere and come walking over. His face one of confusion, hair tussled from sleep and mismatched socks. He walks over to Danny and bends down to help her up. Danny can't help but feel like a child in this moment. Why is it that when Spencer is around, she seems to not know her lefts from her rights and her ups from her downs?

A choked noise comes from the doctor's throat and gains the attention of the girl in his arms. Cheeks heating up, Spencer lets go of Danny where she was on the floor, and picks up the culprit that tripped her: a pair of boxers with the Dr. Who police box all over them. Danny giggles and Spencer kicks them into his room shortly before closing the door with a final slam.

He looks down at Danny, still seated on the floor, and his eyes rake up her bare legs, stopping at the junction between her thighs and continuing on to her chest clad with his T-shirt and up to her face. Embarrassment gone, Spencer's emotions harden and he clears his throat with a little head shake.

"I've got your clothes for you," he states abruptly and marches from the room. Danny stares after him. It's easy to see that he is back at arms length with the girl. Their moment this morning was over.

Looking down, she's horrified to see that the shirt rode up, exposing her pink panties. No wonder he wanted to flee so quickly. He probably only sees her as a child. Defenseless and stupid.

Danny slaps her forehead at the turn of events for only a short morning.