Chapter Fourteen

The broken form of his lover in against his legs made Virgil's heart crack in his chest. He looked like he was dead, though his shallow breathing suggested otherwise. He shut his eyes tight as he hugged him to his chest. Tears were prickling behind his eyelids.

He knew that this would happen. He'd tried to stop it, but there was only so much he could do. Virgil began panting as rage washed over him. The anger he felt at that moment was unlike anything he'd ever felt before. He was mad at the necromancer behind all this. He was mad at Roman for not being more careful. He was mad at himself for not paying more attention. He was mad at the world for making him what he was.

The wind had picked up and the unmistakable sound of thunder rumbled overhead. Virgil felt cold, so cold it burned. He opened his eyes. They glowed a solid purple. The dark mages that were approaching them hesitated as he laid Roman down gently and stood up. 

Virgil began to run toward his opponents and jumped high into the air. He let out a yell, his voice echoing in a terrifying manner. He blasted the ground with intense lightning, causing the earth to shake. The dark mages scattered, looking terrified as he landed back on the ground. He growled and formed lightning between his hands. He then pulled them apart, creating a long stream of electricity that he cracked like a whip. He lassoed the nearest one and hurled them across the street. 

Luis and Thorn watched in awe of his powers, slightly horrified by the display of ruthlessness they were seeing from him. They shared a look as the dark prince zapped another mage. The ground shook again. 

"We've got to go help Roman, he looks like he really needs your healing powers right now," Luis managed, swallowing. 

Seeing his older brother like this awakened a subconscious fear that he'd developed during the fateful incident of his childhood. He felt his stomach swirling with discomfort and his skin began to crawl. The young prince hugged himself a little as he tried to fight his anxiety. Thorn took a hold of him and gave him a look of reassurance. Her confident gaze grounded him in reality and regain control. 

He gave her a grateful nod. She returned it and they made their way toward Roman. He was laying on his side, having been put there by Virgil. Thorn moved him to lay on his back and waved her hands over him. They glowed with the soft rose gold light of her magic. 

She scowled and closed her eyes. "This is going to take a minute, cover me if anyone tries to attack us," she instructed her fiancé. 

"With the way Virgil's fighting, I don't think that's going to be a problem," Luis said. He watched as Virgil threw people around with his whip of lightning. His eyes were still a solid, glowing shade of purple. He shivered, focusing back on Roman. "How bad is he hurt?"

"The actual hits he took weren't too damaging, but the dark magic is amplifying the damage," the princess explained. She was sweating with effort as Roman's body glowed with her magic. "I'm trying to cleanse him of the dark magic and heal his injuries at the same time. It's- It's just a little bit difficult."

Luis nodded and swallowed nervously. Though he didn't really want to, he looked back toward Virgil. He was still brawling with the dark mages, but their numbers had dwindled.

Electricity crackled from Virgil's blackened hands. He hovered in the air above his enemies, staring them down. They launched balls of dark matter at him, but he caught them and threw the balls back with far more intensity. The collided with the ground and knocked the remaining mages to the ground. He fell to the ground, causing the cobblestone below him to crack. He stalked toward them as they tried to scramble away.

"Let my power be seen, let my strength be recognized," he bellowed. "Let me be clear, Prince Roman is off limits. If any one of you lay a hand on him, you will answer to ME!"

He stomped his foot, causing a wave of lightning to roll across the ground. It sent the mages rolling away and knocked them out cold. Virgil panted heavily as his powers began to settle. His hands returned to normal and his eyes stopped glowing. He was still furious beyond reason as he turned back to his boyfriend.

Thorn let out a gasp as she stopped her magic. "Okay... he's- he should be fine," she managed, relaxing as Luis pulled her close. 

Roman blinked and began to sit up, putting his hand on his chest as he winced. He shook out his head. "What... What happened?" he muttered, feeling his head pounding. Luis began to answer, but he stood up and headed toward Virgil before he actually could. "Virgil! Are you alright?"

The dark prince looked at him. Something in his eyes made a pit settle in Roman's stomach. He took a hold of his hands and gave him an apprehensive look. "Is everything okay?"

"I have to go," he said simply.

The ground beneath Roman's feet suddenly didn't feel very steady. He felt his heart drop and his pulse picking up as his eyes widened. "What are you talking about?"

"There's only one way I can protect you," Virgil explained. He looked him straight in the eye as he spoke. "There is nothing more important to me than you. I've made a deal with Dorchadas. I have to go to them in exchange for your safety."

"No, no, no, that's not happening," Roman rushed out, gripping his hands tightly. "You can't leave me again! We have to do this together! I need you!"

Virgil flinched at the statement but shook his head. He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to his cheek. He whispered in his ear. "I have a plan, Princey... I can't explain right now, but I will soon," he murmured. He pulled away and released him. "Goodbye Roman."

"Wait- no-"

The dark prince summoned a dragon of dark matter and flew away without another word.