|twelve|

وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِّلَّـهِ
But those of Faith are overflowing in their love for Allah
[Al-Baqara - 2:165]

"IMPENDING SURPRISE"

The sheer excitement. A combination of nerves and heightened euphoria. They weren't sure how they would feel when they stood before the Ka'bah. Holding each others hands tightly as waves of people overtook them. They were in complete amazement.

Considering all the history in this same spot, the footsteps of so many that had travelled before by camel, foot and now, many air miles, they were filled with joy and a surreal sense of peace.

Men and women were deep in supplication, praying for betterment and forgiveness.

Everyone had a sense of tranquility on their faces. The kind which is visible to the heart. Their eyes had a natural sparkle, their lips were busy in supplication and their hearts in deep pools of remembrance of their God.

Aleena prayed for Haaris.
Haaris prayed for Aleena.

Both not knowing how intense one feels for the other.

They laughed, they cried, they prayed, they felt peace, all at once.

They returned home two weeks later, with their souls refreshed, but leaving their hearts behind in Makkah.

"I want to go back already," Aleena complained. "It was just so perfect."

"I agree. It's truly a place where hearts change for the better," Haaris said, very calmly.

"Its the best experience that you could ever give me."

"We have more of them to come InshaAllah."

Aleena put on a mischievous smile at his statement.

"What are you pondering over?" he asked inquisitively.

"Oh nothing Haafiz Saab. At its due time."

"What?"

"What what?"

Haaris got up and lightly flicked her cheek, to which Aleena grinned.
___________________________

"Ok mum I'll call you later, Haaris is here bye bye bye!!" Aleena quickly put the phone down and walked towards the door to wait for Haaris to come in.

"Will you always wait for me at the door at exactly 5pm every single day?" Haaris asked whilst looking at his watch.

"For as long as I'm alive," she responded.

He walked in, suddenly confused.

"You're all dressed up. And look lovely as always. What's the occasion?" he inquired.

"No reason. I just felt like dolling up, for you. To give you no reason to complain...."

"I know you better than this. Come on, blurt it all out."

"Oh come on Haaris, why would I have a different agenda?"

Haaris was starving, so he let the matter slide and embraced his wife's efforts.

"I'm ravenous, lets eat first."

Aleena was starving too. But she never ate a meal without Haaris. She always said 'love increases if you eat in one plate' which is a typical brown myth.

"What have you prepared?" he asked.

"I've made korma with nan. As well as potato casserole and pasta con pomodoro E basilico. Oh and for dessert we have your favorite crostata ricotta e visciole," she said so confidently, pronouncing in smooth Italian.

Haaris stared at her for at least a minute. Eyes round and full of questions and confusion.

He cleared his throat.

"Are you out of your MIND?!" he said lifelessly to tease her. "Do you want to kill me??"

"I just felt like spoiling you today," she said with the corners of her mouth reaching her ears.

"I am so confused. Are you okay today? Let me check if you have a fever-"

"Haaris!"

"Okay okay, lets just eat before I faint."

For dessert Aleena suggested that they have it in their room, to which Haaris agreed.

Upon entering, he knew something was planned. The room was dark except for dozens of little candles giving light. Purple and blue balloons hung in an orderly fashion against the ceiling and corners of the wall.

Haaris spotted a small round cake with blueberry frosting sitting on top of the dresser. It had one candle in the middle.

He started scratching his head.

"Is it my BIRTHDAY? Or is it yours?! It can't be. I mean is it? This month doesn't even, what?"

Aleena laughed at his innocence.

"Relax. Just come in and see."

And there it was. The cake with some scrawled letters.
He tried to read what was written on it. Slowly but surely, he mouthed the words.

He caught his breath. Confused. Motionless. At this point he didn't even know if he was breathing. His mouth was sand dry. His muscles resisted to correspond.

He finally looked at Aleena.
Her face was a blush red, and her lips in a shy smile.

Haaris looked again to be sure. He finally voiced the words slowly in his shaky voice:

"I'm..coming..soon...baba."