|sixteen|

"And when the great souls die, after a period peace blooms, surely and always irregularly."

[12:10]

Haaris woke up, pillow soaked in tears.

[2:02AM]

The night was adamant not to end. His stomach ached at the thought of being alone at night. He got up for a glass of water, and sat down at the kitchen table.

"Why me?" He repeatedly asked.

He forced the water down, disgusted at its taste. He unwillingly went to the backyard and sat down on the porch.

[2:30AM]

Staring up at the sky, not even a single star in sight. Just dark, scary and quiet. On a normal day he wouldn't even step into the backyard, but this time the darkness held him back, it started to soothe him.

He was not afraid of it. Which other horror could possibly make him petrified? Does it not know that he has nothing left to lose? He just smiled and inhaled every scent of peace which he could find.

What kind of peace am I talking about? Give it a thought.

[3:10AM]

There was only one thing in Haaris's mind:
"He will give you something better than what was taken away from you."

Alas, there is peace in every Ayat, but this one just hit different for him. How soft his heart must be, to be so optimistic after being snatched away of everything.

[4:05AM]

He thought about Aleena all the time.

During breakfast, she would always have a cup of tea ready for him.
During lunch, she packed his food with utmost care.
During the day, she used to call him randomly  just to say that she misses him.
At exactly 5PMshe would be at the doorstep to welcome him home.
During grocery shopping she would  scold him for picking up the wrong things.
During car rides she used to get excited seeing an ice-cream stall.
The list never ends.

She lived in every part of his day. Every moment. Every second.

No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away. Aleena's has left an imprint on his heart, for now and always.