Chapter 21

Harry's 18th Birthday Party

The morning haze had long since burned off by the afternoon sun, and the sky was a clear, bright blue. Ron and George were busy draping red and gold streamers from any surface they could find across the backyard while Hermione charmed small red and gold orbs of light to float above them. Ginny and Mrs. Weasley hurried past Harry on their way outside, both carrying large plates filled with food and snacks which were placed on a decorated table hiding in the shade near the house.

"How many people did you say were invited?" Harry whispered anxiously to Ron, eyeing the table threatening to collapse under the weight of food.

"All the Weasleys, of course, the old Order, the DA and some of their families, Hermione's parents, and a bunch of reporters," he replied happily. Harry's head snapped towards him and Ron instantly held up his hands as if to ward off an attack. "Kidding about the reporters."

"That's still a ton of people, Ron."

"All here to celebrate you." Ron gave an affection slap to his shoulder, but the uncomfortable expression on his friend's face did not fade. "Oh come on, enjoy it! You've never had a proper birthday party so you can't say you don't like it before you've tried it. Plus, with all of our friends, it's bound to be a good time." Harry made no comments, but instead watched George levitate a large banner over the table of food that read "Happy Birthday Harry!"

"Really?" Harry said, shifting uncomfortably.

"What, too small? We can make it bigger. Hey George!" Ron shouted, striding forward with a large grin and Harry grabbing his arm and attempting to talk over him.

"Don't approve, Harry?" George said in mock surprise. "I guess we'll have to go with plan B, huh Ron?" He agreed with a nod of his head while Harry shook his furiously, not wanting to find out what Plan B was. George pointed his wand at the banner and changed it to read "Happy Birthday to the Chosen One, Boy Who Lived, and Savior of the Wizarding World!" The letters shrunk to fit the annoyingly long title on the banner and Harry's cheeks burned scarlet to match the decorations.

"Change it back," he demanded.

"Ah, he changes his tune. Too little too late, I reckon," George mused thoughtfully, eyeing the banner standing beside Ron and Harry.

"Wow, Harry. I didn't know you were one for bragging." The three turned around to see Charlie walking towards them after apparting just beyond the fence's border.

"Change it back, George."

"Fiiiine," he whined grudgingly with a smirk. The banner switched to its original message and Harry's cheeks slowly turned back to his normal color as he turned again to face Charlie.

"Happy birthday Harry! Sorry, I can't quite remember all of the titles you apparently wanted to be called," Charlie joked happily. Harry shook his hand and accepted his well wishes with an obvious eye roll. The next five minutes were filled with greeting the rest of the Weasleys as they apparated to the Burrow to help set-up, each holding wrapped gifts which they began to pile onto the empty table next to the food. Luckily, Charlie was the only one to see the extended banner.

------------------------

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Mrs. Granger peered out the passenger window to see beautiful yet decidedly empty rolling hills, and no houses along the dirt road.

"Positive. We'll be there soon," her husband replied confidently. "Ron said it was way off the beaten path, remember?"

"Such a pain to get there, though."