Chapter 28

The Following Wednesday

Ron nodded firmly at Harry and let out a sharp breath, his freckles standing out more than usual against his pale face. Harry dropped his black robe that he had worn almost every day to work and couldn't help but think again that he really needed to go shopping. Their wands were both strapped to their outer leg in the holder that Tom Zhang had given each auror for easy access, and Ron was fingering the top of his nervously.

"Ready?" Harry asked, probably less nervous than he ought to be. Ron nodded and followed him out of their office and into the meeting room where four other aurors waited: Williamson, Bayman, Goldsmith, and Josephs (the four aurors who happened to be in the Action Subdivision that week).

"All right. Is everyone clear on the plan?" Harry asked while he marched into the room. The four aurors nodded solemnly, their faces lined with apprehension. "Goldsmith, where are we apparating to?"

"The edge of Melton Street in Edgefield, behind the large oak tree behind the building," she recited perfectly.

"Good. And where are we entering Josephs?"

"I'm entering through the large window in the back leading into the kitchen along with Weasley and Williamson."

"Bayman, where are you entering?"

"The window on the opposite side into the sitting room with you and Goldsmith."

"Perfect." Harry nodded with satisfaction. Bayman had eased up considerably towards their leadership after Harry had soundly beaten him in a practice duel in their first round of extended training and he hasn't questioned him since. Whether it was just to vie for a spot as head or because he actually trusted them, neither Ron nor Harry had any idea and they weren't too phased with it at the moment.

"And remember; we are going to capture and bring the two of them back, nothing more. Do not use excessive force" Ron added sternly, trying to distance themselves from the Death Eaters' tactics in the ministry just last year. The intel subdivision had been watching the building closely for the past week and discovered that another accused Death Eater had recently hidden out with the first, both relying on their minimal protective enchantments to keep them safe.

"Right. Any questions before we go?" Harry and Ron both looked each auror in the eyes, waiting for any clarifications needed. But, when none came, Harry nodded again and slipped his wand out from the holster on his leg. "Wands out. Disillusionment Charms on." Harry felt a cold liquid drip down his back and he looked down at his hands to see them blending in with the color of the carpet. When he looked back up, all he could see were blurry outlines of shapes that didn't quite match their background. "Apparate on the count of three. One... Two... Three." The six disappeared into the darkness simultaneously, and when his shoes thudded against the hard ground, Ron opened his eyes to see his vision completely blocked by rough bark.

He turned hastily, his wand ready just in case, and saw the same six rough figures spread out on the dead grass.

"Josephs. Williamson. You're with me," Ron said, his voice hoarse. The two stepped towards him and with a quick nod to Harry, they walked purposefully and as quietly as they could towards the back fence of the house. The house itself looked perfectly normal in a perfectly normal muggle neighborhood, although it was far off the beaten road and isolated in a field of dry grass. It was made of white stucco with a tiled roof that formed a small rectangle of a building and a low gray fence outlining the perimeter of the land, as well as the perimeter of the enchantments. From the intel, the aurors knew there was an intruder charm so that the moment anyone touched the perimeter, the Death Eaters would know it. They had also cast Protego Maxima, but have failed to recast it regularly, so it should break easily with a single shield penetration spell.