mundanes.

"But such occasions of excellence became less and less frequent. As her technique became sounder, her sincerity became less necessary."
Thornton Wilder

Mei had grown accustomed to waking up whenever her body's natural alarm clock decided to jolt her awake, which usually never happened before 11 AM.

Today, however, she was met with the blaring half-siren sound from her phone forcing her away from sleep.

She shot up immediately, clutching her head as she felt her blood rush to give her a headache. She scrambled to tap her screen until the sound turned off, settling back down into her pillows and reaching out with her arm to pat her boyfriend.

When her arm met with blanket and mattress, she shot one eye open, finally lifting her head to see that she was in bed alone.

As her situation finally registered, she noticed the faint smell of eggs in the air and raised her brows in surprise.

Clambering out of bed, she winced as her feet hit the cold hardwood floor. Until finally, she was awake enough to walk out of the bedroom, making her way toward the kitchen as she scratched her head.

Entering the kitchen, she found her boyfriend in shorts, an apron barely covering his torso as he stood in front of the stove.

"What are you doing up?" Mei asked quietly, watching as he jumped a bit in surprise before turning to face her with a smile.

"Babe, good morning!" He cheered immediately, sending her a wink before twirling the spatula in his hand. "Do I look cute or what?"

Mei felt the corner of her lip quirk up as he wiggled his hips to show off the apron Mei's mom had sent as a housewarming gift only two weeks ago.

"Super cute."

"Eggs, my lady?" He continued, turning his attention back to the stove and letting Mei lean against the counter behind him.

"Why are you up so early? It's like, 8 in the morning." Mei asked with a yawn, narrowing her eyes at him as he practically danced while cooking.

"I set a secret alarm because I know your first meeting with your new editor is today! You were complaining that you'll have to get up early, so I figured you'd appreciate some breakfast."

Mei awed before moving to wrap her arms around him from behind.

"That's so perfect." She hummed against his bare back, letting her cheek squish into his spine as she leaned her weight onto him. "Man, I really hate my new editor. Who the hell thinks a 9 AM meeting is okay?"

"I'm sure you'll get along the more you work with him. Maybe he has a vacation home like your old one, and we can use it again."

"Hmm, doubt that." Mei mumbled, letting her eyes close as she rested all of her weight onto Hyodo and sleep threatened to overtake her once more.

Ha, Akaashi having a vacation home!

It'd definitely be full of old teas and ancient, rustic furniture that belongs in museums.

"Get showered and dressed, babe. Before you fall back asleep." Hyodo warned, wiggling his shoulder blades to unstick Mei's cheek from his back.