Six years later

6 years later, January, 2021

The news came during a practice session in Mumbai-wasn't it lucky they were in Mumbai?

Rahul saw Virat talking on his phone agitatedly, pacing around with his brows furrowed.

"What happened?" asked Rahul, going up to him anxiously.

"Anushka is in labour, Rahul-I have to go to the hospital!" cried Virat.

"Ok..." said Rahul. They had been expecting Anushka to go into labour any day now. "Why are you panicking; come on, I'll drive you over."

Virat ran for the hotel, Rahul at his heels, and pulled open the door next to the driver's seat the moment he reached one of their team cars.

"Virat!" said Rahul. "Move. Right now."

As if he was letting him drive when he was in this state.

"You can't drive fast enough," said Virat wildly.

Rahul ignored him and pushed him towards the passenger seat. Virat obeyed, grumbling.

Once on the street, Virat made the mistake of saying, "Go faster!" once, but when Rahul expertly overtook a truck via going into the wrong lane, he had so many heart attacks that he was forced to say, "Obey the traffic rules, Rahuliya."

Rahul rolled his eyes.

"You're a rash driver, you know," said Virat conversationally, as the hospital came nearer and his panic temporarily abated.

"I'm a better driver than you, Virat," said Rahul drily. "We didn't tell any of the others, aren't they going to worry finding us gone?"

"Maybe," said Virat, now shaking his phone as if shaking it might provide him some information about Anushka.

"So inform them, can't you?"

Virat continued shaking his phone. Rahul sighed as he entered the parking area of the hospital.

Virat was opening the door before Rahul had braked, and he stumbled out.

"Virat," grumbled Rahul. But he didn't grumble too much because there was no cross traffic in the parking lot, so Virat hadn't been in any danger; plus, taking him up to Anushka was the immediate concern right now.

He locked the car quickly and rushed to catch up with Virat.

"3rd floor," said Virat. He turned to grin at Rahul. "Race you to the third floor, Rahuliya!"

"It's a hospital, Vi-!"

Virat took off. And Rahul had no choice but to take off behind him, in case he fell, or pushed someone over, or get himself into whatever ridiculous scenarios he excelled at getting himself into.

************

So they were sitting outside the delivery room-Virat had not been allowed to go inside since the delivery process had already started-one of them hyperventilating, the other uselessly trying to calm him down.

"Why didn't they let us enter? Have you ever heard of the mother's family not being allowed to enter?"

"Haven't been to too many deliveries, so can't say..."

"Do you think, since 1 pm is 13 hours in the 24-hour system, it's a bad omen that we reached the hospital at 1 pm?"

"I'm sure it's not a bad omen, Virat..."